Jun 30, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins and Kris Letang agreed to what is expected to be an eight-year, $58 million contract on Sunday, according to RDS’ Renaud Lavoie. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun notes that it isn’t official yet, though.
The potential pact carries a salary cap hit of $7.25 million. Much like Evgeni Malkin, his deal will expire after the 2021-22 season.
The deal includes a limited no-trade clause. He can list up to 15 teams he’d accept a trade to (perhaps the Toronto Maple Leafs are on that list?).
This comes on the heels of news that the team took a “step forward” in its talks with the 26-year-old defenseman’s agent on Saturday night. That step now looks more like a giant leap.
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports that the Penguins chose this eight-year deal at $7.25 million per campaign over a four-year one that would pay an average of $7.5 million in each season.
Pens GM Ray Shero answered his biggest remaining question, yet he faces several significant ones, including the big picture issue of how he’ll surround such an expensive core with supporting talent. Starting in the 2014-15 season, the combined cap hit for Malkin, Crosby and Letang will be a whopping $25.45 million.
Taking Letang out of the trading mix would also substantially increase the value of potential bargaining chip defensemen on draft day.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)