Jun 30, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins and Kris Letang agreed to what is expected to be an eight-year, $58 million contract on Sunday, according to RDS’ Renaud Lavoie. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun notes that it isn’t official yet, though.
The potential pact carries a salary cap hit of $7.25 million. Much like Evgeni Malkin, his deal will expire after the 2021-22 season.
The deal includes a limited no-trade clause. He can list up to 15 teams he’d accept a trade to (perhaps the Toronto Maple Leafs are on that list?).
This comes on the heels of news that the team took a “step forward” in its talks with the 26-year-old defenseman’s agent on Saturday night. That step now looks more like a giant leap.
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports that the Penguins chose this eight-year deal at $7.25 million per campaign over a four-year one that would pay an average of $7.5 million in each season.
Pens GM Ray Shero answered his biggest remaining question, yet he faces several significant ones, including the big picture issue of how he’ll surround such an expensive core with supporting talent. Starting in the 2014-15 season, the combined cap hit for Malkin, Crosby and Letang will be a whopping $25.45 million.
Taking Letang out of the trading mix would also substantially increase the value of potential bargaining chip defensemen on draft day.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)