Jun 30, 2013, 9:12 AM EST
Pittsburgh Penguins GM Ray Shero insists that he’s still trying to sign defenseman Kris Letang to a contract extension, although some believe that a scheduled Saturday discussion with Letang’s agent Kent Hughes was a make-or-break affair. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Rob Rossi indicates that some positives came from that meeting.
It doesn’t sound like anything was made or broken, however.
Rossi described the session as a “step forward,” though it’s anyone’s guess if the two sides will ultimately fall a stride or two short of a new deal.
Even so, the Penguins have a better idea of what they need to do to retain the star blueliner, Rossi reports.
— Rob Rossi (@RobRossi_Trib) June 30, 2013
Does that mean that Penguins fans can safely assume the 26-year-old won’t move during draft time, a period that often produces trades that overshadow the picks themselves? That much remains to be seen.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)