Jun 30, 2013, 12:18 AM EDT
It’s still not known if the Phoenix Coyotes will start the 2013-14 campaign with a new owner or, for that matter, play another game in Glendale, but their goaltending situation is getting much clearer.
If he’s not re-signed, Smith will become an unrestricted free agent on July 5. The 31-year-old previously admitted that the uncertainty about the ownership situation was a consideration in these negotiations.
That being said, it helped matters when the Coyotes re-signed coach Dave Tippett, based on an Arizona Republic report.
Smith broke out in 2011-12 with a 2.21 GAA and .930 save percentage in 67 games. However, he was less consistent in 2013 and ended up with a 2.58 GAA and .910 save percentage in 34 starts.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 10
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 36
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 33
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)