Jun 30, 2013, 12:18 AM EDT
It’s still not known if the Phoenix Coyotes will start the 2013-14 campaign with a new owner or, for that matter, play another game in Glendale, but their goaltending situation is getting much clearer.
If he’s not re-signed, Smith will become an unrestricted free agent on July 5. The 31-year-old previously admitted that the uncertainty about the ownership situation was a consideration in these negotiations.
That being said, it helped matters when the Coyotes re-signed coach Dave Tippett, based on an Arizona Republic report.
Smith broke out in 2011-12 with a 2.21 GAA and .930 save percentage in 67 games. However, he was less consistent in 2013 and ended up with a 2.58 GAA and .910 save percentage in 34 starts.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 33
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 47
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)