Jun 30, 2013, 12:18 PM EDT
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the 2013 Vezina Trophy winner is seeking a deal that will pay him $6 million per year, prompting the Blue Jackets to offer his rights to other NHL teams. It’s probably safe to say that Columbus will look for a new No. 1 netminder, according to Dreger.
The KHL gloated about extending an “excellent offer” to Bobrovsky about a week ago. Sunday stands as a huge opportunity for the Blue Jackets to get something for “Bob,” as he can sign with a KHL team as early as July 1 (if he chooses).
It’s tough to beat up Columbus too much for this situation, although some might argue that the Blue Jackets should’ve pursued an extension earlier in his breakout season.
Those 2013 numbers are eye-popping, and his overall career numbers are pretty nice, but the 24-year-old only has 121 regular season games on his NHL resume.
Apparently that’s not enough for the Blue Jackets to give him the kind of money only a handful of franchise netminders are receiving,* but maybe some other goalie-needy club will decide he’s worth the gamble?
* – 2012 Conn Smythe winner Jonathan Quick‘s new deal carries a $5.8 million cap hit, for example.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 5
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 25
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)