Jun 30, 2013, 12:18 PM EST
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the 2013 Vezina Trophy winner is seeking a deal that will pay him $6 million per year, prompting the Blue Jackets to offer his rights to other NHL teams. It’s probably safe to say that Columbus will look for a new No. 1 netminder, according to Dreger.
The KHL gloated about extending an “excellent offer” to Bobrovsky about a week ago. Sunday stands as a huge opportunity for the Blue Jackets to get something for “Bob,” as he can sign with a KHL team as early as July 1 (if he chooses).
It’s tough to beat up Columbus too much for this situation, although some might argue that the Blue Jackets should’ve pursued an extension earlier in his breakout season.
Those 2013 numbers are eye-popping, and his overall career numbers are pretty nice, but the 24-year-old only has 121 regular season games on his NHL resume.
Apparently that’s not enough for the Blue Jackets to give him the kind of money only a handful of franchise netminders are receiving,* but maybe some other goalie-needy club will decide he’s worth the gamble?
* – 2012 Conn Smythe winner Jonathan Quick‘s new deal carries a $5.8 million cap hit, for example.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 1
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 29
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 14
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 76
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)