Jun 30, 2013, 12:18 PM EDT
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the 2013 Vezina Trophy winner is seeking a deal that will pay him $6 million per year, prompting the Blue Jackets to offer his rights to other NHL teams. It’s probably safe to say that Columbus will look for a new No. 1 netminder, according to Dreger.
The KHL gloated about extending an “excellent offer” to Bobrovsky about a week ago. Sunday stands as a huge opportunity for the Blue Jackets to get something for “Bob,” as he can sign with a KHL team as early as July 1 (if he chooses).
It’s tough to beat up Columbus too much for this situation, although some might argue that the Blue Jackets should’ve pursued an extension earlier in his breakout season.
Those 2013 numbers are eye-popping, and his overall career numbers are pretty nice, but the 24-year-old only has 121 regular season games on his NHL resume.
Apparently that’s not enough for the Blue Jackets to give him the kind of money only a handful of franchise netminders are receiving,* but maybe some other goalie-needy club will decide he’s worth the gamble?
* – 2012 Conn Smythe winner Jonathan Quick‘s new deal carries a $5.8 million cap hit, for example.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 99
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (100)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)