Jun 30, 2013, 12:18 PM EDT
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the 2013 Vezina Trophy winner is seeking a deal that will pay him $6 million per year, prompting the Blue Jackets to offer his rights to other NHL teams. It’s probably safe to say that Columbus will look for a new No. 1 netminder, according to Dreger.
The KHL gloated about extending an “excellent offer” to Bobrovsky about a week ago. Sunday stands as a huge opportunity for the Blue Jackets to get something for “Bob,” as he can sign with a KHL team as early as July 1 (if he chooses).
It’s tough to beat up Columbus too much for this situation, although some might argue that the Blue Jackets should’ve pursued an extension earlier in his breakout season.
Those 2013 numbers are eye-popping, and his overall career numbers are pretty nice, but the 24-year-old only has 121 regular season games on his NHL resume.
Apparently that’s not enough for the Blue Jackets to give him the kind of money only a handful of franchise netminders are receiving,* but maybe some other goalie-needy club will decide he’s worth the gamble?
* – 2012 Conn Smythe winner Jonathan Quick‘s new deal carries a $5.8 million cap hit, for example.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 1
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 17
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)