Jun 30, 2013, 12:18 PM EDT
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the 2013 Vezina Trophy winner is seeking a deal that will pay him $6 million per year, prompting the Blue Jackets to offer his rights to other NHL teams. It’s probably safe to say that Columbus will look for a new No. 1 netminder, according to Dreger.
The KHL gloated about extending an “excellent offer” to Bobrovsky about a week ago. Sunday stands as a huge opportunity for the Blue Jackets to get something for “Bob,” as he can sign with a KHL team as early as July 1 (if he chooses).
It’s tough to beat up Columbus too much for this situation, although some might argue that the Blue Jackets should’ve pursued an extension earlier in his breakout season.
Those 2013 numbers are eye-popping, and his overall career numbers are pretty nice, but the 24-year-old only has 121 regular season games on his NHL resume.
Apparently that’s not enough for the Blue Jackets to give him the kind of money only a handful of franchise netminders are receiving,* but maybe some other goalie-needy club will decide he’s worth the gamble?
* – 2012 Conn Smythe winner Jonathan Quick‘s new deal carries a $5.8 million cap hit, for example.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 6
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)