Jun 30, 2013, 1:02 PM EST
Much has been made about high-end prospect Seth Jones’ childhood connections to the Colorado Avalanche, but fellow potential No. 1 pick Nathan MacKinnon apparently dreamed of wearing the burgundy and blue, too.
MacKinnon’s father Graham told the Denver Post that Nathan wrote that he wanted to play for the Halifax Mooseheads and then the Colorado Avalanche on a personalized hockey card when he was seven or eight years old.
“He said ‘I want to play for the Halifax Mooseheads, then I want to get drafted by Colorado and play with Joe Sakic,’ ” Graham MacKinnon said.
Aside from playing for instead of with Sakic, MacKinnon’s childhood prediction might just come true. (It’s worth noting that photographic evidence of this card hasn’t surfaced yet, so there’s the off chance that his dad is conducting some strange myth-making.)
His father marveled at Nathan’s drive (or some might say, tunnel vision) when it came to making it to the NHL.
“It almost scared me. At age 2, he took right away to skating,” Graham MacKinnon said. “I had trouble keeping up with him, no joke. We never pushed hockey on him at all. He just took to it right away, fell in love with it and hasn’t stopped. When he was 9 or 10, I’d sometimes say to him, ‘You know, not everyone makes it in hockey,’ and he’d just get mad. He’d say, ‘I’m playing hockey, I’m playing hockey. I don’t have a Plan B, I just have a Plan A.’ He’d say, ‘Plan B is just a distraction from Plan A,’ and he was so serious about it.”
Then again, maybe it’s due to his competitive nature.
Many athletes are described as the type of people who don’t want to lose at anything, something that his 19-year-old sister Sarah notices in Nathan.
“We had some fierce Scrabble games growing up,” Sarah MacKinnon said. “He wanted to win at that as much as anything else ever. Whatever it is, Nate just wants to win and be the best.”
Perhaps he’ll get his way – and in the sweater he dreamed of as a kid, to boot – then.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)