Jun 30, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
It sounds like the Vancouver Canucks have a bit of fence-mending to do after goalie Cory Schneider was traded to New Jersey for the ninth overall pick during today’s NHL draft.
According to TSN host James Duthie, Roberto Luongo — the goalie who was supposed to be traded all along — is in shock and remains unsure what the future holds.
“I’m shocked,” Luongo told Duthie. “I have to let this sink in and figure out what I’m going to do.”
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis, on the other hand, told reporters on the floor of the Prudential Center that he didn’t expect any issues with Luongo.
Per the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman, Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini will fly to Florida to meet with Luongo.
How that meeting goes, we’ll have to wait and see. It’s been widely reported that Luongo desired a fresh start after he was supplanted by Schneider as Vancouver’s starter.
In May, after the Canucks were swept out of the playoffs, Gillis said it was “unlikely” that Luongo would be back next season.
Today’s trade apparently took Schneider by surprise, too. The 27-year-old told The Record’s Tom Gulitti that he learned of the move watching TV, and that he hadn’t talked to anyone from the Canucks organization since the end of the season.
Luongo, 34, is signed through 2021-22, with a cap hit of $5.3 million.
“It’s a very difficult decision to make between two really quality people and quality goaltenders,” said Gillis.
“It really came down to where we could get the most value, and we did it with Cory and now we have a young player (Bo Horvat) coming out of here in this draft, a big first-round pick.”
Jul 3, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Brings a wealth of success, experience at AHL, collegiate levels.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT
$52.5 million extension.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
“This long-term commitment that assures he will be an important part of our team for years to come.”
Jul 3, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT
“They gotta come in and knock somebody out of the box.”
Jul 3, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT
A one-year, two-way deal for the ex-Islander.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Charlie Huddy, Pascal Vincent and Wade Flaherty all inked three-year extensions.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
Expected to battle Brian Elliott for the starting role in St. Louis.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:23 PM EDT
“It’s an exciting time to be a part of this organization.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Jul 3, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT
Bobby Sanguinetti to Buffalo; Sharks grab Mark Cundari.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Where he “contributed to the development of Jonathan Quick, Jonathan Bernier and Martin Jones.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
How patiently will he wait?
Jul 3, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
The 44th overall pick at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
Plays a similar style to his dad.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:20 AM EDT
Their supporting casts haven’t been this strong in some time.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Pictured listening to Patrick Roy; he’ll next listen to Dave Cameron.
Jul 3, 2015, 8:07 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Jul 2, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
He was fired by Toronto back in April.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
Doug Armstrong dipped into the free agency pool Thursday evening for some depth signings.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
They’re two-way contracts worth $650,000.
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 23
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 9
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 15
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 11
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)