Jun 30, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
It sounds like the Vancouver Canucks have a bit of fence-mending to do after goalie Cory Schneider was traded to New Jersey for the ninth overall pick during today’s NHL draft.
According to TSN host James Duthie, Roberto Luongo — the goalie who was supposed to be traded all along — is in shock and remains unsure what the future holds.
“I’m shocked,” Luongo told Duthie. “I have to let this sink in and figure out what I’m going to do.”
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis, on the other hand, told reporters on the floor of the Prudential Center that he didn’t expect any issues with Luongo.
Per the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman, Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini will fly to Florida to meet with Luongo.
How that meeting goes, we’ll have to wait and see. It’s been widely reported that Luongo desired a fresh start after he was supplanted by Schneider as Vancouver’s starter.
In May, after the Canucks were swept out of the playoffs, Gillis said it was “unlikely” that Luongo would be back next season.
Today’s trade apparently took Schneider by surprise, too. The 27-year-old told The Record’s Tom Gulitti that he learned of the move watching TV, and that he hadn’t talked to anyone from the Canucks organization since the end of the season.
Luongo, 34, is signed through 2021-22, with a cap hit of $5.3 million.
“It’s a very difficult decision to make between two really quality people and quality goaltenders,” said Gillis.
“It really came down to where we could get the most value, and we did it with Cory and now we have a young player (Bo Horvat) coming out of here in this draft, a big first-round pick.”
May 28, 2015, 8:15 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
May 27, 2015, 11:47 PM EDT
He wasn’t the only Anaheim player that deserved to be blamed tonight.
May 27, 2015, 11:01 PM EDT
Chicago endured Anaheim’s comeback attempt to win this one.
May 27, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
The Ducks might have caught a break there.
May 27, 2015, 10:08 PM EDT
He has seven goals in 15 playoff games.
May 27, 2015, 9:46 PM EDT
Chicago scored three goals within four minutes.
May 27, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT
Jordan Weal has been a big part of Manchester’s success.
May 27, 2015, 8:09 PM EDT
Chicago’s mixing things up for this must-win game.
May 27, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
She’s previously been warned that this course could lead to her being found in contempt.
May 27, 2015, 6:06 PM EDT
Anaheim has a chance to advance to the Stanley Cup Final tonight.
May 27, 2015, 5:24 PM EDT
After just one year in Pittsburgh.
May 27, 2015, 4:43 PM EDT
The ladies sure loved that guy.
May 27, 2015, 4:16 PM EDT
One of the many decisions facing new GM Don Sweeney.
May 27, 2015, 3:49 PM EDT
Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Final goes Friday at MSG.
May 27, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT
The two men worked together for a season in New Jersey.
May 27, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
Tomas Fleischmann likely on his way out.
May 27, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
“We’re going to be embedded in this community.”
May 27, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT
“I get the fact there were three goals that went in that were ugly. That’s the growth of a young player.”
May 27, 2015, 1:09 PM EDT
Either way, Kimmo Timonen is likely out.
May 27, 2015, 12:39 PM EDT
Rangers forward has had issues with it thus far.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 33
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 47
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)