Jun 30, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
It sounds like the Vancouver Canucks have a bit of fence-mending to do after goalie Cory Schneider was traded to New Jersey for the ninth overall pick during today’s NHL draft.
According to TSN host James Duthie, Roberto Luongo — the goalie who was supposed to be traded all along — is in shock and remains unsure what the future holds.
“I’m shocked,” Luongo told Duthie. “I have to let this sink in and figure out what I’m going to do.”
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis, on the other hand, told reporters on the floor of the Prudential Center that he didn’t expect any issues with Luongo.
Per the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman, Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini will fly to Florida to meet with Luongo.
How that meeting goes, we’ll have to wait and see. It’s been widely reported that Luongo desired a fresh start after he was supplanted by Schneider as Vancouver’s starter.
In May, after the Canucks were swept out of the playoffs, Gillis said it was “unlikely” that Luongo would be back next season.
Today’s trade apparently took Schneider by surprise, too. The 27-year-old told The Record’s Tom Gulitti that he learned of the move watching TV, and that he hadn’t talked to anyone from the Canucks organization since the end of the season.
Luongo, 34, is signed through 2021-22, with a cap hit of $5.3 million.
“It’s a very difficult decision to make between two really quality people and quality goaltenders,” said Gillis.
“It really came down to where we could get the most value, and we did it with Cory and now we have a young player (Bo Horvat) coming out of here in this draft, a big first-round pick.”
Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
Kane is under a police investigation.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Can he find a role with the Flames given their deep blueline?
Sep 3, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
“Antti was frustrated after Chicago send him [a] second time [to the] AHL and he told me truly how he felt.”
Sep 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
His availability for the season opener is in doubt.
Sep 3, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT
Bruins d-man is using them as motivation for a bounce-back campaign.
Sep 3, 2015, 1:02 PM EDT
This should be good.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:42 AM EDT
Where he worked with — wait for it — current Minnesota starter Devan Dubnyk.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT
In a shocking development, “money and term” are the sticking points.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT
He could face up to five years in prison.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It would mark a record for the sale of a U.S.-based NHL team.
Sep 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Sep 2, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Bakersfield and Stockton will play in West Sacramento, Calif. on Dec. 18.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
As many as five teams are reportedly interested in acquiring the 26-year-old.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
He was expecting a two or three year contract.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 26-year-old refuted an Ilta-Sanomat story.
Sep 2, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
The 23-year-old appeared in 38 games with Chicago last season.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 3
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 10
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)