Jun 30, 2013, 9:07 PM EDT
Well, Devils GM Lou Lamoriello is standing by the face of his franchise.
“Marty is still a number one goalie,” he said about the 41 year-old future Hall of Famer.
What about Schneider? Lou’s a big fan as well.
“I think we’re getting a goaltender not only of the present but of the future. Certainly Marty is at a point where he can’t play the way he played, as far as the number of games he played,” he explained.
“This young man has proven to be a No. 1 goaltender. We feel great about it. I’ve spoken to him and he’s just excited to come here and work with Marty.”
When it came to making his decision to deal for Schneider, Lamoriello made it very plain.
“This is something we were able to do. This was something in the best interest of our franchise and we made a decision to do it.”
Oddly enough, Lamoriello says he hasn’t had a chance to talk with Brodeur as he was busy working on the floor at the draft.
With Brodeur and Schneider set to battle for time in goal next season, it brings up the possibility of Schneider pushing Brodeur to be even better in goal.
Lamoriello says that’s the furthest thing from the truth.
“If you know Marty, Marty doesn’t need anyone to push him. Marty doesn’t compete against anyone. He competes against himself,” he said. “He’s an elite athlete with tremendous pride. A team player. I don’t want to go over Marty looking over his shoulder. He’s a tremendous professional. He’ll help Cory out as much as possible.”
As for veteran backup Johan Hedberg, Lamoriello said he’ll sit down with him and discuss their future. He has one year left on his deal with New Jersey and a $1.4 million cap hit.
At 28 years-old, the question here is whether Schneider actually needs more help at this point in his career. The Devils may not think they have issues in goal now, but they’re going to have a lot more questions moving ahead.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It would mark a record for the sale of a U.S.-based NHL team.
Sep 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Sep 2, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Bakersfield and Stockton will play in West Sacramento, Calif. on Dec. 18.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
As many as five teams are reportedly interested in acquiring the 26-year-old.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
He was expecting a two or three year contract.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 26-year-old refuted an Ilta-Sanomat story.
Sep 2, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
The 23-year-old appeared in 38 games with Chicago last season.
Sep 2, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“I’m a realist. If nothing happens, that’s the way it is.”
Sep 2, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
Can he beat out Cam Talbot and Ben Scrivens?
Sep 2, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
“I know that it’s not just me that feels I can be a lot better and be the player that I know I’m going to be and I want to be.”
Sep 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
Another diamond in the rough?
Sep 2, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT
He also wanted them to get swept in the opening playoff round against Nashville, apparently.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT
After missing most of last season with a back injury.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It will be raised before the home opener on Oct. 10.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
They were near the bottom of the league in that regard last season.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT
“The way he offered his house to me shows what kind of person he is.”
Sep 1, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT
They had strong attendance numbers last season too.
Sep 1, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT
The Blues have a vacancy with Patrik Berglund out for at least four months.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 115
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)