Jun 30, 2013, 9:07 PM EST
Well, Devils GM Lou Lamoriello is standing by the face of his franchise.
“Marty is still a number one goalie,” he said about the 41 year-old future Hall of Famer.
What about Schneider? Lou’s a big fan as well.
“I think we’re getting a goaltender not only of the present but of the future. Certainly Marty is at a point where he can’t play the way he played, as far as the number of games he played,” he explained.
“This young man has proven to be a No. 1 goaltender. We feel great about it. I’ve spoken to him and he’s just excited to come here and work with Marty.”
When it came to making his decision to deal for Schneider, Lamoriello made it very plain.
“This is something we were able to do. This was something in the best interest of our franchise and we made a decision to do it.”
Oddly enough, Lamoriello says he hasn’t had a chance to talk with Brodeur as he was busy working on the floor at the draft.
With Brodeur and Schneider set to battle for time in goal next season, it brings up the possibility of Schneider pushing Brodeur to be even better in goal.
Lamoriello says that’s the furthest thing from the truth.
“If you know Marty, Marty doesn’t need anyone to push him. Marty doesn’t compete against anyone. He competes against himself,” he said. “He’s an elite athlete with tremendous pride. A team player. I don’t want to go over Marty looking over his shoulder. He’s a tremendous professional. He’ll help Cory out as much as possible.”
As for veteran backup Johan Hedberg, Lamoriello said he’ll sit down with him and discuss their future. He has one year left on his deal with New Jersey and a $1.4 million cap hit.
At 28 years-old, the question here is whether Schneider actually needs more help at this point in his career. The Devils may not think they have issues in goal now, but they’re going to have a lot more questions moving ahead.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:47 AM EST
“He wants to build for the long term and he understands that there is some suffering involved.”
Jan 27, 2015, 11:43 AM EST
Bob Murray wants a defenseman, according to pretty much everyone.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:12 AM EST
The worst of the storm was saved for New England.
Jan 27, 2015, 10:48 AM EST
Get back into the swing of things.
Jan 27, 2015, 10:48 AM EST
“I’m still a little ways away. Hopefully I keep making the right strides.”
Jan 27, 2015, 9:41 AM EST
Update: Moving him might not be such a bad thing, really.
Jan 27, 2015, 8:28 AM EST
Tuesday’s snowy links.
Jan 27, 2015, 1:35 AM EST
He’ll likely start Tuesday paired with Dan Hamhuis.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:30 AM EST
Latvia could soon have another NHLer to cheer for.
Jan 26, 2015, 11:30 PM EST
The Isles have won both meetings this season.
Jan 26, 2015, 10:25 PM EST
He’s missed 13 games recovering from surgery on his fractured left wrist.
Jan 26, 2015, 9:30 PM EST
Several players had to make alternate arrangements leaving the All-Star Game.
Jan 26, 2015, 8:35 PM EST
Expected to play Wednesday against the Leafs
Jan 26, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
He’s a repeat offender.
Jan 26, 2015, 7:10 PM EST
Teams have till noon eastern time Tuesday to place a claim on the forward.
Jan 26, 2015, 6:16 PM EST
The Avalanche are trying to claw their way into the playoffs.
Jan 26, 2015, 5:52 PM EST
Minnesota had three healthy goaltenders on its roster.
Jan 26, 2015, 4:59 PM EST
Who will play this week?
Jan 26, 2015, 4:22 PM EST
This might be the result of fighting in back-to-back games.
Jan 26, 2015, 3:31 PM EST
Will Mikhail Grabovski step up?
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 3
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 50
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)