Jun 30, 2013, 3:35 PM EST
The top-ranked North American skater, at least according to NHL Central Scouting, was drafted fourth overall today in Newark.
Not many expected Seth Jones to still be available when the Nashville Predators took to the podium to announce their pick, but after Nathan MacKinnon went to the Avs first overall, Florida surprised by selecting center Aleksander Barkov and Tampa Bay took winger Jonathan Drouin third, leaving the big American defenseman available.
For the Preds, it gives them another potential franchise defenseman to go with captain Shea Weber.
Nashville, of course, lost Norris Trophy finalist Ryan Suter to free agency last summer.
“I think [Jones] is the best player in the draft,” said Nashville general manager David Poile prior to the draft. “That is my, our organization’s opinion as to what he is going to become.”
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 45
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 19
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32