Jun 30, 2013, 3:35 PM EST
The top-ranked North American skater, at least according to NHL Central Scouting, was drafted fourth overall today in Newark.
Not many expected Seth Jones to still be available when the Nashville Predators took to the podium to announce their pick, but after Nathan MacKinnon went to the Avs first overall, Florida surprised by selecting center Aleksander Barkov and Tampa Bay took winger Jonathan Drouin third, leaving the big American defenseman available.
For the Preds, it gives them another potential franchise defenseman to go with captain Shea Weber.
Nashville, of course, lost Norris Trophy finalist Ryan Suter to free agency last summer.
“I think [Jones] is the best player in the draft,” said Nashville general manager David Poile prior to the draft. “That is my, our organization’s opinion as to what he is going to become.”
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 37
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 9
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 28