Jun 30, 2013, 8:11 PM EDT
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports it’s a $16 million deal, with an average annual cap hit of $4 million. That’s a sizeable raise for Bickell, who was making a modest $541,666 per year on his old deal.
The 27-year-old winger had a breakthrough playoff performance en route to the Stanley Cup, in which he scored 17 points in 23 games — including nine goals — emerging as the big-body, net-front presence the club lacked since Dustin Byfuglien filled it during the 2010 Stanley Cup run.
That came on the heels of a successful 2013 regular season, in which he had 23 points in 48 games while averaging close to 13 minutes per game.
Bickell had indicated his desire to stay in Chicago, hinting that he’d be willing to take a hometown discount to remain in the Windy City. He was originally selected by the ‘Hawks at the 2004 NHL Entry Draft and has spent all six of his professional seasons with the team.
According to LeBrun, Bickell will receive a $1 million bonus plus $2 million in salary for next season, then $4 million in 2014-15, then $4.5 million in each of last two years of the deal.
Should be noted that Chicago shed approximately $5.7 million in salary today with the Bolland and Frolik deals.
Jul 27, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
He last played in 2001 with the Edmonton Oilers.
Jul 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
He’s played four full seasons there already.
Jul 27, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
He has a few guys that can help make it happen there.
Jul 27, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
He was their final restricted free agent.
Jul 27, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
He emerged as the team’s No. 2 center last season.
Jul 27, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
That adds another layer to the Flames’ goaltending competition.
Jul 27, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
He has played in 132 NHL games.
Jul 27, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
It led to him having a minor procedure.
Jul 27, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
He’ll enter training camp with a shot of making the team.
Jul 27, 2014, 10:06 AM EDT
“I can be a lot better.”
Jul 27, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
He’s the last RFA left for them to re-sign.
Jul 26, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
We’ve hit that part of free agency.
Jul 26, 2014, 9:57 PM EDT
They’re both eligible to become free agents next summer.
Jul 26, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
They had the league’s third-worst unit last season.
Jul 26, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
He’s scheduled for arbitration on Friday.
Jul 26, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
It’ll be his third team in the past year.
Jul 26, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT
He was injured during World Championships in May.
Jul 26, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Reggie vs. Gustl: who you got?
Jul 26, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
Can they compromise by Tuesday?
Jul 26, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Positive updates following a scary situation.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)