Jun 30, 2013, 8:11 PM EDT
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports it’s a $16 million deal, with an average annual cap hit of $4 million. That’s a sizeable raise for Bickell, who was making a modest $541,666 per year on his old deal.
The 27-year-old winger had a breakthrough playoff performance en route to the Stanley Cup, in which he scored 17 points in 23 games — including nine goals — emerging as the big-body, net-front presence the club lacked since Dustin Byfuglien filled it during the 2010 Stanley Cup run.
That came on the heels of a successful 2013 regular season, in which he had 23 points in 48 games while averaging close to 13 minutes per game.
Bickell had indicated his desire to stay in Chicago, hinting that he’d be willing to take a hometown discount to remain in the Windy City. He was originally selected by the ‘Hawks at the 2004 NHL Entry Draft and has spent all six of his professional seasons with the team.
According to LeBrun, Bickell will receive a $1 million bonus plus $2 million in salary for next season, then $4 million in 2014-15, then $4.5 million in each of last two years of the deal.
Should be noted that Chicago shed approximately $5.7 million in salary today with the Bolland and Frolik deals.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:03 PM EDT
Don’t worry, they won’t join the Washington Generals.
Mar 9, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Impressively, he returned to action in the second period.
Mar 9, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Mar 9, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Patrick Kane comes home.
Mar 9, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
Brian Elliott gets a rare start for St. Louis.
Mar 9, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
It might be due to an Ed Jovanovski hit.
Mar 9, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT
It doesn’t sound great for their would-be starter.
Mar 9, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT
Calgary releases a statement on the matter.
Mar 9, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Mar 9, 2014, 3:57 PM EDT
The appetite to make a change seems to be growing.
Mar 9, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
Detroit has lost its Wild Card spot.
Mar 9, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
The once promising rookie was put on waivers by Ottawa.
Mar 9, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
He’s scored in every New Jersey game since the Olympics.
Mar 9, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
That’s on top of all the talent they traded away.
Mar 9, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Can Johan Franzen maintain his incredible post-Olympics pace?
Mar 9, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
The 21-year-old is making the transition from the KHL.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT
It helped lead St. Louis to its fourth straight win.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT
Buffalo hasn’t been so bad lately, despite what the team looks like on paper.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They both desperately need every point they can get.
Mar 9, 2014, 1:09 AM EDT
A much-needed victory for Vancouver.
- Video: Patrick Kane scores a beauty against Buffalo 0
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 24
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)