Jun 30, 2013, 8:11 PM EDT
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports it’s a $16 million deal, with an average annual cap hit of $4 million. That’s a sizeable raise for Bickell, who was making a modest $541,666 per year on his old deal.
The 27-year-old winger had a breakthrough playoff performance en route to the Stanley Cup, in which he scored 17 points in 23 games — including nine goals — emerging as the big-body, net-front presence the club lacked since Dustin Byfuglien filled it during the 2010 Stanley Cup run.
That came on the heels of a successful 2013 regular season, in which he had 23 points in 48 games while averaging close to 13 minutes per game.
Bickell had indicated his desire to stay in Chicago, hinting that he’d be willing to take a hometown discount to remain in the Windy City. He was originally selected by the ‘Hawks at the 2004 NHL Entry Draft and has spent all six of his professional seasons with the team.
According to LeBrun, Bickell will receive a $1 million bonus plus $2 million in salary for next season, then $4 million in 2014-15, then $4.5 million in each of last two years of the deal.
Should be noted that Chicago shed approximately $5.7 million in salary today with the Bolland and Frolik deals.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
He’s establishing what he expects early.
Sep 23, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
Is Detroit in for another injury-filled year?
Sep 23, 2014, 7:53 AM EDT
That’s a picture of Marguerite Moreau, who played Connie.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Mitts were dropped. Frequently.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Good start for a guy on a two-way deal.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:29 PM EDT
Like Vancouver, for example.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
“We’ve got to wait to see how it heals.”
Sep 22, 2014, 5:53 PM EDT
He’s been unable to skate since camp started.
Sep 22, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
“You grow up playing hockey and you’re thinking ‘oh, I just want to play the game, it’s so much fun.’ Then you realize it is your job.”
Sep 22, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
But it “shouldn’t be a long-term, lingering thing.”
Sep 22, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
Randy Carlyle is making some changes to the way Toronto defends.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Currently there are 16 teams in the East and 14 in the West.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
“I think it’s been terribly mishandled by the player and the agent.”
Sep 22, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Kurt Overhardt has a warning for the frustrated Blue Jackets management.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
“We know he has a great shot and that’s a bonus for him.”
Sep 22, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
But Peter Karmanos wants to retain control of the team.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
“It’s nice having a little more freedom, in that regard, especially for the creativity that’s on our team,” says Beau Bennett.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
“I think what we’re going to do as a team will be right up his alley.”
Sep 22, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
He’ll get tougher assignments with Kimmo Timonen sidelined indefinitely.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
Colorado is counting on the duo to be very effective this season.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)