Jun 30, 2013, 3:21 PM EST
It didn’t take long to get a surprise pick in this year’s first-round.
Florida stunned fans by taking Finnish forward Aleksander Barkov second overall. Barkov was believed to be the fourth-best player in this year’s draft, but also thought to be a guy capable of jumping to the NHL right now. He was the No. 1 rated European prospect by NHL Central Scouting.
“We are thrilled to have selected Aleksander with our first pick in the Draft,” said Panthers Executive VP and GM Dale Tallon. “He is an extremely talented player that fits all the qualities that we look for in size, skill and character. We look forward to seeing him in Florida in the near future.”
Many suspected Florida would grab defenseman Seth Jones after Colorado selected Nathan MacKinnon first overall, but they opted for the strong centerman with Russian bloodlines. If Jones turns into a superstar, expect GM Dale Tallon to take heat for passing.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)