Jun 30, 2013, 3:21 PM EDT
It didn’t take long to get a surprise pick in this year’s first-round.
Florida stunned fans by taking Finnish forward Aleksander Barkov second overall. Barkov was believed to be the fourth-best player in this year’s draft, but also thought to be a guy capable of jumping to the NHL right now. He was the No. 1 rated European prospect by NHL Central Scouting.
“We are thrilled to have selected Aleksander with our first pick in the Draft,” said Panthers Executive VP and GM Dale Tallon. “He is an extremely talented player that fits all the qualities that we look for in size, skill and character. We look forward to seeing him in Florida in the near future.”
Many suspected Florida would grab defenseman Seth Jones after Colorado selected Nathan MacKinnon first overall, but they opted for the strong centerman with Russian bloodlines. If Jones turns into a superstar, expect GM Dale Tallon to take heat for passing.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)