Jun 30, 2013, 10:11 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils turned the 2013 draft into a family affair.
With the 208th pick overall in the seventh-round, Martin Brodeur announced the team’s selection and it was a player he knows very well: His son Anthony.
Anthony Brodeur is a goalie out of Shattuck St. Mary’s prep school in Minnesota. Getting picked by the Devils and with his old man there to announce the honor made for a special moment. Even better still? The Devils traded into the seventh-round to pick him.
The reaction around the Twittersphere was very positive.
The Devils drafted Marty Brodeur's son, Anthony, a goalie from Shattuck St. Mary's. Brodeur got to make the announcement.—
Kevin Allen (@ByKevinAllen) July 01, 2013
New Jersey has drafted Martin Brodeur's son, Anthony. Best part: Martin Brodeur made the announcement.—
Dave Molinari (@MolinariPG) July 01, 2013
Great moment for Martin Brodeur who gets to announce the Devils selecting his son Anthony Brodeur. NJ traded into the 7th round to do it.—
Craig Custance (@CraigCustance) July 01, 2013
Marty Brodeur drafts his son Anthony into the Devils organization. Very cool moment here at the draft. Awesome.—
Jeff Marek (@JeffMarek) July 01, 2013
Jersey traded to pick Martin Brodeur's son Anthony. That's kind of awesome.—
Sarah Baicker (@sbaickerCSN) July 01, 2013
The 5’11”, 177-pound netminder is headed to the QMJHL next season to play for Gatineau.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 8
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 27
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 44
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20