Jun 30, 2013, 10:11 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils turned the 2013 draft into a family affair.
With the 208th pick overall in the seventh-round, Martin Brodeur announced the team’s selection and it was a player he knows very well: His son Anthony.
Anthony Brodeur is a goalie out of Shattuck St. Mary’s prep school in Minnesota. Getting picked by the Devils and with his old man there to announce the honor made for a special moment. Even better still? The Devils traded into the seventh-round to pick him.
The reaction around the Twittersphere was very positive.
The Devils drafted Marty Brodeur's son, Anthony, a goalie from Shattuck St. Mary's. Brodeur got to make the announcement.—
Kevin Allen (@ByKevinAllen) July 01, 2013
New Jersey has drafted Martin Brodeur's son, Anthony. Best part: Martin Brodeur made the announcement.—
Dave Molinari (@MolinariPG) July 01, 2013
Great moment for Martin Brodeur who gets to announce the Devils selecting his son Anthony Brodeur. NJ traded into the 7th round to do it.—
Craig Custance (@CraigCustance) July 01, 2013
Marty Brodeur drafts his son Anthony into the Devils organization. Very cool moment here at the draft. Awesome.—
Jeff Marek (@JeffMarek) July 01, 2013
Jersey traded to pick Martin Brodeur's son Anthony. That's kind of awesome.—
Sarah Baicker (@sbaickerCSN) July 01, 2013
The 5’11″, 177-pound netminder is headed to the QMJHL next season to play for Gatineau.
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 8
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 8
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 5
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 14
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 46
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 23
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 62
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1