Jun 30, 2013, 10:11 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils turned the 2013 draft into a family affair.
With the 208th pick overall in the seventh-round, Martin Brodeur announced the team’s selection and it was a player he knows very well: His son Anthony.
Anthony Brodeur is a goalie out of Shattuck St. Mary’s prep school in Minnesota. Getting picked by the Devils and with his old man there to announce the honor made for a special moment. Even better still? The Devils traded into the seventh-round to pick him.
The reaction around the Twittersphere was very positive.
The Devils drafted Marty Brodeur's son, Anthony, a goalie from Shattuck St. Mary's. Brodeur got to make the announcement.—
Kevin Allen (@ByKevinAllen) July 01, 2013
New Jersey has drafted Martin Brodeur's son, Anthony. Best part: Martin Brodeur made the announcement.—
Dave Molinari (@MolinariPG) July 01, 2013
Great moment for Martin Brodeur who gets to announce the Devils selecting his son Anthony Brodeur. NJ traded into the 7th round to do it.—
Craig Custance (@CraigCustance) July 01, 2013
Marty Brodeur drafts his son Anthony into the Devils organization. Very cool moment here at the draft. Awesome.—
Jeff Marek (@JeffMarek) July 01, 2013
Jersey traded to pick Martin Brodeur's son Anthony. That's kind of awesome.—
Sarah Baicker (@sbaickerCSN) July 01, 2013
The 5’11”, 177-pound netminder is headed to the QMJHL next season to play for Gatineau.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 8
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 4
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 12
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 28
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)