Jun 30, 2013, 1:57 PM EST
NEWARK — Martin Brodeur‘s career has seen more than its fair share of highlights and achievements. Him winning the vote to be on the cover for EA Sports’ NHL 14 might now rank as high as winning the Stanley Cup, but he’s proud of what it took for him to earn the honor.
“It makes me feel important to a certain extent. They went to the extreme to try and get me on [the cover]. Especially the hockey fans in general. My organization really helped me out with social media.”
Yeah, the social media aspect. The New Jersey Devils are strict about not having players use Twitter during the season. You’ll be happy to know even a future Hall of Famer like Brodeur had to ask
“I had to ask permission [to use Twitter]. It’s not something we don’t allow in our organization. For that I asked permission and they gladly did.”
Brodeur is the face of the New Jersey Devils and with that the guy who best represents hockey in the state. With questions about the financial future of the team coming up lately, he’s proud of how things are going with the fans in the area.
“I think it’s great,” he says. “From what we experienced here last year with the Cup run and Stanley Cup Final being here to now the draft, I think fans and people who work around the game are starting to appreciate a bit more what we have in New Jersey.”
As for GM Lou Lamoriello’s job this summer to help re-shape the Devils, Brodeur knows the team’s financial questions need to be solved to help take care of business.
“He’s going to be busy, there’s no doubt. We have a lot of guys to sign. I think that ownership is getting back on track and I think that’s probably the thing why we’re stalling on not signing certain guys. Whenever they give us the opportunity we’ll go ahead and get it done.
“I have a lot faith like every year Lou and his people to make us a competitive team.”
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 36
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 39
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 8
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)