Jun 29, 2013, 1:40 PM EDT
Unsettling news out of Winnipeg on Saturday as Jets defenseman Tobias Enstrom was robbed and beaten at an automated teller machine in his native Sweden.
According to Swedish outlet Sport Expressen, Enstrom was assaulted by three men while out for dinner with his family. He had gone to an ATM to take out cash to settle the bill, at which time the trio attacked.
“I haven’t spoken to Toby, we’re just getting it through our team security person. All indications are it was an unfortunate incident involving him, but he’ll come out of it OK,” Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff told the Winnipeg Free Press.
‘Supposedly, to the best of our knowledge [the attackers] have been apprehended by police. Toby is fine. He received a minor cut above the eye. He’s putting it behind him.”
Enstrom, 28, has spent his entire NHL career with the Thrashers/Jets organization. Last July, he inked a five-year, $28.75 million contract extension that will keep him with the club until 2018.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)