Jun 29, 2013, 1:40 PM EDT
Unsettling news out of Winnipeg on Saturday as Jets defenseman Tobias Enstrom was robbed and beaten at an automated teller machine in his native Sweden.
According to Swedish outlet Sport Expressen, Enstrom was assaulted by three men while out for dinner with his family. He had gone to an ATM to take out cash to settle the bill, at which time the trio attacked.
“I haven’t spoken to Toby, we’re just getting it through our team security person. All indications are it was an unfortunate incident involving him, but he’ll come out of it OK,” Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff told the Winnipeg Free Press.
‘Supposedly, to the best of our knowledge [the attackers] have been apprehended by police. Toby is fine. He received a minor cut above the eye. He’s putting it behind him.”
Enstrom, 28, has spent his entire NHL career with the Thrashers/Jets organization. Last July, he inked a five-year, $28.75 million contract extension that will keep him with the club until 2018.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)