Jun 29, 2013, 1:40 PM EDT
Unsettling news out of Winnipeg on Saturday as Jets defenseman Tobias Enstrom was robbed and beaten at an automated teller machine in his native Sweden.
According to Swedish outlet Sport Expressen, Enstrom was assaulted by three men while out for dinner with his family. He had gone to an ATM to take out cash to settle the bill, at which time the trio attacked.
“I haven’t spoken to Toby, we’re just getting it through our team security person. All indications are it was an unfortunate incident involving him, but he’ll come out of it OK,” Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff told the Winnipeg Free Press.
‘Supposedly, to the best of our knowledge [the attackers] have been apprehended by police. Toby is fine. He received a minor cut above the eye. He’s putting it behind him.”
Enstrom, 28, has spent his entire NHL career with the Thrashers/Jets organization. Last July, he inked a five-year, $28.75 million contract extension that will keep him with the club until 2018.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)