Jun 29, 2013, 1:40 PM EST
Unsettling news out of Winnipeg on Saturday as Jets defenseman Tobias Enstrom was robbed and beaten at an automated teller machine in his native Sweden.
According to Swedish outlet Sport Expressen, Enstrom was assaulted by three men while out for dinner with his family. He had gone to an ATM to take out cash to settle the bill, at which time the trio attacked.
“I haven’t spoken to Toby, we’re just getting it through our team security person. All indications are it was an unfortunate incident involving him, but he’ll come out of it OK,” Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff told the Winnipeg Free Press.
‘Supposedly, to the best of our knowledge [the attackers] have been apprehended by police. Toby is fine. He received a minor cut above the eye. He’s putting it behind him.”
Enstrom, 28, has spent his entire NHL career with the Thrashers/Jets organization. Last July, he inked a five-year, $28.75 million contract extension that will keep him with the club until 2018.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 1
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 32
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 56
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 31
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)