Jun 29, 2013, 8:30 AM EDT
In the hours leading up to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, it appears Seth Jones has made peace with the fact he may not be the first overall selection.
Jones, a defenseman, is the top-ranked North American skater, as per NHL Central Scouting, however the Colorado Avalanche, with that first overall pick Sunday, have been sending plenty of mixed signals as to who it will select.
Even if Jones isn’t taken first overall, he’ll still go early – very early – in the draft.
The Florida Panthers have the second overall pick, and Jones was, according to the South Florida-Sun Sentinel, interviewing with that club on Saturday.
“They’ve got to make a tough decision this year, with Nathan (MacKinnon) a great player along with Jonathan [Drouin],” Jones told the Sun-Sentinel.com.
Fueling talk of whether the Avalanche will select Jones is the player’s association to the Denver area.
His father, Popeye Jones, played for the Denver Nuggets in the NBA.
Seth Jones began playing hockey in Denver, before going on to his junior career with the Portland Winterhawks and a gold medal with the U.S. national junior team at the World Juniors in January.
So, it would make for a great homecoming story if the Avalanche were to take Jones. We’ll find out Sunday if it’s meant to be.
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 1
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 11
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 17
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)