Jun 29, 2013, 8:30 AM EST
In the hours leading up to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, it appears Seth Jones has made peace with the fact he may not be the first overall selection.
Jones, a defenseman, is the top-ranked North American skater, as per NHL Central Scouting, however the Colorado Avalanche, with that first overall pick Sunday, have been sending plenty of mixed signals as to who it will select.
Even if Jones isn’t taken first overall, he’ll still go early – very early – in the draft.
The Florida Panthers have the second overall pick, and Jones was, according to the South Florida-Sun Sentinel, interviewing with that club on Saturday.
“They’ve got to make a tough decision this year, with Nathan (MacKinnon) a great player along with Jonathan [Drouin],” Jones told the Sun-Sentinel.com.
Fueling talk of whether the Avalanche will select Jones is the player’s association to the Denver area.
His father, Popeye Jones, played for the Denver Nuggets in the NBA.
Seth Jones began playing hockey in Denver, before going on to his junior career with the Portland Winterhawks and a gold medal with the U.S. national junior team at the World Juniors in January.
So, it would make for a great homecoming story if the Avalanche were to take Jones. We’ll find out Sunday if it’s meant to be.
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 9
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 19
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 30
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (152)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)