Jun 29, 2013, 8:30 AM EDT
In the hours leading up to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, it appears Seth Jones has made peace with the fact he may not be the first overall selection.
Jones, a defenseman, is the top-ranked North American skater, as per NHL Central Scouting, however the Colorado Avalanche, with that first overall pick Sunday, have been sending plenty of mixed signals as to who it will select.
Even if Jones isn’t taken first overall, he’ll still go early – very early – in the draft.
The Florida Panthers have the second overall pick, and Jones was, according to the South Florida-Sun Sentinel, interviewing with that club on Saturday.
“They’ve got to make a tough decision this year, with Nathan (MacKinnon) a great player along with Jonathan [Drouin],” Jones told the Sun-Sentinel.com.
Fueling talk of whether the Avalanche will select Jones is the player’s association to the Denver area.
His father, Popeye Jones, played for the Denver Nuggets in the NBA.
Seth Jones began playing hockey in Denver, before going on to his junior career with the Portland Winterhawks and a gold medal with the U.S. national junior team at the World Juniors in January.
So, it would make for a great homecoming story if the Avalanche were to take Jones. We’ll find out Sunday if it’s meant to be.
- Report: Lightning prospect Jonathan Drouin out with upper body injury 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 10
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)