Jun 29, 2013, 8:30 AM EDT
In the hours leading up to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, it appears Seth Jones has made peace with the fact he may not be the first overall selection.
Jones, a defenseman, is the top-ranked North American skater, as per NHL Central Scouting, however the Colorado Avalanche, with that first overall pick Sunday, have been sending plenty of mixed signals as to who it will select.
Even if Jones isn’t taken first overall, he’ll still go early – very early – in the draft.
The Florida Panthers have the second overall pick, and Jones was, according to the South Florida-Sun Sentinel, interviewing with that club on Saturday.
“They’ve got to make a tough decision this year, with Nathan (MacKinnon) a great player along with Jonathan [Drouin],” Jones told the Sun-Sentinel.com.
Fueling talk of whether the Avalanche will select Jones is the player’s association to the Denver area.
His father, Popeye Jones, played for the Denver Nuggets in the NBA.
Seth Jones began playing hockey in Denver, before going on to his junior career with the Portland Winterhawks and a gold medal with the U.S. national junior team at the World Juniors in January.
So, it would make for a great homecoming story if the Avalanche were to take Jones. We’ll find out Sunday if it’s meant to be.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 29
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)