Jun 29, 2013, 8:30 AM EST
In the hours leading up to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, it appears Seth Jones has made peace with the fact he may not be the first overall selection.
Jones, a defenseman, is the top-ranked North American skater, as per NHL Central Scouting, however the Colorado Avalanche, with that first overall pick Sunday, have been sending plenty of mixed signals as to who it will select.
Even if Jones isn’t taken first overall, he’ll still go early – very early – in the draft.
The Florida Panthers have the second overall pick, and Jones was, according to the South Florida-Sun Sentinel, interviewing with that club on Saturday.
“They’ve got to make a tough decision this year, with Nathan (MacKinnon) a great player along with Jonathan [Drouin],” Jones told the Sun-Sentinel.com.
Fueling talk of whether the Avalanche will select Jones is the player’s association to the Denver area.
His father, Popeye Jones, played for the Denver Nuggets in the NBA.
Seth Jones began playing hockey in Denver, before going on to his junior career with the Portland Winterhawks and a gold medal with the U.S. national junior team at the World Juniors in January.
So, it would make for a great homecoming story if the Avalanche were to take Jones. We’ll find out Sunday if it’s meant to be.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)