Jun 29, 2013, 7:06 PM EST
Pittsburgh defenseman Kris Letang has reportedly already rejected an eight-year, $54 million deal from the Penguins. Pittsburgh then turned down Letang’s proposal that would have come with a cap hit north of $7.5 million annually.
All the same, Penguins GM Ray Shero is still attempting to re-sign the 26-year-old blueliner.
“There is a time to make a deal, time to sign a contract, agree on a contract or not agree on a contract,” Shero said, according to NHL.com. “There is a point in the negotiation where you have to make a decision. Kris is going to have to make one and so am I.
“Both sides have to make some decisions. We’ll go from there.”
Letang still has one-year left on his contract and Shero might trade him this summer for the right price, but for now he’s not ready to shop the offensive defenseman.
“I can’t try to sign a guy and try to trade him at the same time. I’m going to try to sign him,” Shero said. “I’ve had a couple teams inquire. They read the paper. They ask to keep them in mind. I haven’t explored any of that. I don’t think that’s productive at this point. Our goal is to sign him.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Penguins kick off Rivalry Night vs. Capitals 0
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 50
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 17
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)