Jun 29, 2013, 7:06 PM EST
Pittsburgh defenseman Kris Letang has reportedly already rejected an eight-year, $54 million deal from the Penguins. Pittsburgh then turned down Letang’s proposal that would have come with a cap hit north of $7.5 million annually.
All the same, Penguins GM Ray Shero is still attempting to re-sign the 26-year-old blueliner.
“There is a time to make a deal, time to sign a contract, agree on a contract or not agree on a contract,” Shero said, according to NHL.com. “There is a point in the negotiation where you have to make a decision. Kris is going to have to make one and so am I.
“Both sides have to make some decisions. We’ll go from there.”
Letang still has one-year left on his contract and Shero might trade him this summer for the right price, but for now he’s not ready to shop the offensive defenseman.
“I can’t try to sign a guy and try to trade him at the same time. I’m going to try to sign him,” Shero said. “I’ve had a couple teams inquire. They read the paper. They ask to keep them in mind. I haven’t explored any of that. I don’t think that’s productive at this point. Our goal is to sign him.”
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 5
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 43
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head 71
- Potter suspended two games for boarding Bonino 3
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension 107
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver 100
- Pittsburgh’s special teams have been pretty good; Florida’s not so much 3
- Flyers blow 4-1 lead, Caps win in shootout 25
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (100)