Jun 29, 2013, 7:06 PM EDT
Pittsburgh defenseman Kris Letang has reportedly already rejected an eight-year, $54 million deal from the Penguins. Pittsburgh then turned down Letang’s proposal that would have come with a cap hit north of $7.5 million annually.
All the same, Penguins GM Ray Shero is still attempting to re-sign the 26-year-old blueliner.
“There is a time to make a deal, time to sign a contract, agree on a contract or not agree on a contract,” Shero said, according to NHL.com. “There is a point in the negotiation where you have to make a decision. Kris is going to have to make one and so am I.
“Both sides have to make some decisions. We’ll go from there.”
Letang still has one-year left on his contract and Shero might trade him this summer for the right price, but for now he’s not ready to shop the offensive defenseman.
“I can’t try to sign a guy and try to trade him at the same time. I’m going to try to sign him,” Shero said. “I’ve had a couple teams inquire. They read the paper. They ask to keep them in mind. I haven’t explored any of that. I don’t think that’s productive at this point. Our goal is to sign him.”
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 36
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)