Jun 29, 2013, 9:22 AM EDT
And then again, maybe not.
On Saturday morning, TSN hockey insider Darren Dreger dropped news that the 27-year-old Schneider is “in play” for a possible trade, with a first-round pick and a prospect as “part of the asking price.”
Schneider took over the starting duties from Luongo during the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs, when the Canucks were bounced in the first round.
The Canucks and general manager Mike Gillis have been trying to trade Luongo for more than a full year now, but have been unsuccessful, mostly due to the 12-year, $64 million contract Luongo is in the midst of.
He still has nine years remaining on the deal, but the Canucks may still try to move him this weekend.
Schneider’s deal could be much easier to move. He has two years remaining on his current contract, and is worth a cap hit of $4 million.
In 30 regular season games, Schneider posted a 17-9-4 record, with a .927 save percentage and 2.11 goals-against average.
But a groin injury suffered towards the very end of the lockout-shortened season derailed a brief but impressive run he was on – back-to-back wins over Detroit and Chicago, and allowing a combined two goals in those two games – and he struggled once reinserted back into the lineup for Games 3 and 4 of the first-round series against the San Jose Sharks.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 2
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)