Jun 29, 2013, 9:22 AM EDT
And then again, maybe not.
On Saturday morning, TSN hockey insider Darren Dreger dropped news that the 27-year-old Schneider is “in play” for a possible trade, with a first-round pick and a prospect as “part of the asking price.”
Schneider took over the starting duties from Luongo during the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs, when the Canucks were bounced in the first round.
The Canucks and general manager Mike Gillis have been trying to trade Luongo for more than a full year now, but have been unsuccessful, mostly due to the 12-year, $64 million contract Luongo is in the midst of.
He still has nine years remaining on the deal, but the Canucks may still try to move him this weekend.
Schneider’s deal could be much easier to move. He has two years remaining on his current contract, and is worth a cap hit of $4 million.
In 30 regular season games, Schneider posted a 17-9-4 record, with a .927 save percentage and 2.11 goals-against average.
But a groin injury suffered towards the very end of the lockout-shortened season derailed a brief but impressive run he was on – back-to-back wins over Detroit and Chicago, and allowing a combined two goals in those two games – and he struggled once reinserted back into the lineup for Games 3 and 4 of the first-round series against the San Jose Sharks.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 2
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)