Jun 29, 2013, 9:22 AM EST
And then again, maybe not.
On Saturday morning, TSN hockey insider Darren Dreger dropped news that the 27-year-old Schneider is “in play” for a possible trade, with a first-round pick and a prospect as “part of the asking price.”
Schneider news might simply be a back-up plan (no pun intended)…if they're unable to move Luongo. Check what other asset is worth.—
Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) June 29, 2013
Schneider took over the starting duties from Luongo during the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs, when the Canucks were bounced in the first round.
The Canucks and general manager Mike Gillis have been trying to trade Luongo for more than a full year now, but have been unsuccessful, mostly due to the 12-year, $64 million contract Luongo is in the midst of.
He still has nine years remaining on the deal, but the Canucks may still try to move him this weekend.
Schneider’s deal could be much easier to move. He has two years remaining on his current contract, and is worth a cap hit of $4 million.
In 30 regular season games, Schneider posted a 17-9-4 record, with a .927 save percentage and 2.11 goals-against average.
But a groin injury suffered towards the very end of the lockout-shortened season derailed a brief but impressive run he was on – back-to-back wins over Detroit and Chicago, and allowing a combined two goals in those two games – and he struggled once reinserted back into the lineup for Games 3 and 4 of the first-round series against the San Jose Sharks.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 152
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (153)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)