Jun 29, 2013, 9:22 AM EDT
And then again, maybe not.
On Saturday morning, TSN hockey insider Darren Dreger dropped news that the 27-year-old Schneider is “in play” for a possible trade, with a first-round pick and a prospect as “part of the asking price.”
Schneider took over the starting duties from Luongo during the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs, when the Canucks were bounced in the first round.
The Canucks and general manager Mike Gillis have been trying to trade Luongo for more than a full year now, but have been unsuccessful, mostly due to the 12-year, $64 million contract Luongo is in the midst of.
He still has nine years remaining on the deal, but the Canucks may still try to move him this weekend.
Schneider’s deal could be much easier to move. He has two years remaining on his current contract, and is worth a cap hit of $4 million.
In 30 regular season games, Schneider posted a 17-9-4 record, with a .927 save percentage and 2.11 goals-against average.
But a groin injury suffered towards the very end of the lockout-shortened season derailed a brief but impressive run he was on – back-to-back wins over Detroit and Chicago, and allowing a combined two goals in those two games – and he struggled once reinserted back into the lineup for Games 3 and 4 of the first-round series against the San Jose Sharks.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 15
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 26
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)