Jun 29, 2013, 1:09 PM EDT
With several big contract decisions on the horizon, the Bruins appear to be looking at a variety of trades scenarios heading into Sunday’s draft.
One big scenario in particular, involving Tyler Seguin.
RDS’ Renaud Lavoie reports Seguin’s name came up on Saturday as Boston appeared “really active” on the trade front, with Tampa Bay reportedly in the mix for the 21-year-old’s services.
CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty reports the proposed asking price for Seguin is steep: Boston wants in the top-10 of Sunday’s draft (the Bruins don’t draft until No. 60 overall) and an impact-level roster player.
Rask’s new deal could command as much as $6.5 million annually and Bergeron — who’s 3-year, $15 million deal expires in 2014 — could be looking at comparable money, if not more.
So, perhaps it’s Seguin — who’s six-year, $34.5 million extension kicks in next year — that needs to go.
He led the B’s in scoring last year and finished second in goals this year, but had a disappointing playoff where he was often relegated to third-line duty.
In other news relating to Boston’s cap issues, McKenzie reports UFA forward Nathan Horton is unlikely to be back with Boston.
Ference’s name, in fact, was added to the list of players that might have their negotiating rights dealt this weekend.
Several teams have inquired about the Boston defenseman, according to Haggerty.
Haggerty spoke with B’s GM Peter Chiarelli on Saturday, confirming earlier reports that Ference was in play. The 34-year-old has spent the last seven seasons in Boston and would be a solid addition for a team looking for veteran depth on the blueline.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabres in franchise history 15
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17