Jun 29, 2013, 3:38 PM EST
That being said, Regier has been trying to gauge each player’s value on the trade market, because he knows that may be an option he has to explore.
“I entered this weekend recognizing that they both are in the last year of their contracts, and I have a responsibility to see what that means both with those players and also within the marketplace,” Regier said Saturday afternoon, per the Buffalo News. “Unless you’re a highly competitive team, it’s very difficult to have players on your roster whose contracts are going to expire if you either choose not to or don’t have the ability to re-up them.
“Just to lose those assets, you try to get a sense of what the marketplace is like, and that’s a process that’s ongoing. I expect it will continue to move through the draft into maybe free agency and maybe beyond that. We’re actively keeping our finger on the pulse of what’s going on in the league, and we’ll have to just make our decision.”
Sabres owner Terry Pegula said recently that he wants Miller and Vanek to remain in Buffalo. But whether the feeling is mutual isn’t clear.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 92
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 92
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 103
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (124)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (105)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (105)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (94)