Jun 29, 2013, 6:02 PM EDT
There was a time when it looked like defenseman Seth Jones might be taken with the top pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, but lately the Colorado Avalanche have suggested otherwise.
He’s not expected to fall far, but in the doubtful scenario that the Avalanche, Florida Panthers, and Tampa Bay Lightning all decide to pass on him, the Nashville Predators will grab Jones with the fourth overall pick.
“Absolutely, 100%, 110%,” Predators GM David Poile said, according to The Republic. “I think he is the best player in the draft. That is my, our organization’s opinion as to what he is going to become.”
That might seem obvious, but the Predators arguably need a skilled forward more than a blueliner. Even after losing Ryan Suter last summer, the Predators still have a talented and relatively young defensive core. At the same time, they averaged just 2.27 goals per game.
Either way, Poile is very happy with his potential options with the number four pick and probably won’t trade the pick as a result.
“In this case, all these top players bring something to the table,” Poile said. “They could all be star players. That’s how good they are. That’s how pumped up we are and everybody else is on this draft.”
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 0
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)