Jun 29, 2013, 4:37 PM EDT
Per Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston, according to Gillis, it was another team that called the Canucks about Schneider, not the other way around.
OK, but is trading Schneider indeed a possibility?
“You have to listen (to offers),” said Gillis.
We’ll take that as a yes. Though how seriously the Canucks are listening, and what kind of offers they’re getting, isn’t clear.
Also unclear: how Roberto Luongo feels about all this. It’s been widely reported that the 34-year-old wants a fresh start elsewhere, but so far his contract has been a roadblock to making that happen.
Also unclear: if Canucks ownership is open to the possibility of a Luongo buyout, which would erase all present and future cap-related issues but cost the club $27 million over 18 years.
Whatever happens, it’s unlikely Vancouver’s goalie saga goes on much longer. (At least, this particular chapter.)
“Things have been really busy,” said Gillis. “I’m getting a lot of calls, having a lot of conversations, so we’ll see what happens”
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)