Jun 29, 2013, 4:37 PM EST
Per Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston, according to Gillis, it was another team that called the Canucks about Schneider, not the other way around.
OK, but is trading Schneider indeed a possibility?
“You have to listen (to offers),” said Gillis.
We’ll take that as a yes. Though how seriously the Canucks are listening, and what kind of offers they’re getting, isn’t clear.
Also unclear: how Roberto Luongo feels about all this. It’s been widely reported that the 34-year-old wants a fresh start elsewhere, but so far his contract has been a roadblock to making that happen.
Also unclear: if Canucks ownership is open to the possibility of a Luongo buyout, which would erase all present and future cap-related issues but cost the club $27 million over 18 years.
Whatever happens, it’s unlikely Vancouver’s goalie saga goes on much longer. (At least, this particular chapter.)
“Things have been really busy,” said Gillis. “I’m getting a lot of calls, having a lot of conversations, so we’ll see what happens”
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 8
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 18
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 48
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)