Jun 29, 2013, 8:40 PM EST
Leading up to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft in New Jersey, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Sunday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Max Domi (C)
Height: 5’9 Weight: 185 Shoots: Left
Team: London Knights (OHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 19 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
As the son of Tie Domi, you’d expect Max Domi to be pugnacious beyond anything else (kind of like how Henrik Samuelsson stirs the pot in a way that reminds many of his father Ulf). Instead, the small forward is known more for his prodigious skill and speed.
(Word is that he isn’t totally adverse to mix it up, either. He is a Domi, after all.)
As a diabetic, he’s adopted Bobby Clarke as something of an idol, switching to No. 16 in his honor.
While his overall offensive skill set impresses, his playmaking ability stands out. Some might find his fanciness a little off-putting, so expect a lot of jokes about certain failed attempts “not exactly making dad proud.”
In what’s far from a shocking development, the Toronto Sun reports that Toronto Maple Leafs fans really want the team to grab Domi if he’s available at pick 21.
Knights (and former Washington Capitals) head coach Dale Hunter provided high praise of Domi to NHL.com.
“He has extensive offensive skills and his skating ability is — and I hate to say it — [Sidney] Crosby-esque,” Hunter said. “You never want to compare [a player] to someone like that, but he has a very strong lower torso, so his center of gravity is amazing.”
For more 2013 NHL Draft previews, click here.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)