Jun 29, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
It would appear Darnell Nurse likes to model his game after NHL veteran defenseman Chris Pronger.
Nurse, a defenseman with the Ontario Hockey League’s Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, heads into Sunday’s NHL Draft as the fourth-ranked North American skater, as per NHL Central Scouting.
He’s got the size, standing 6’4″. Pronger is listed at 6’6″. So, there’s one comparable. They’re both towering figures on the back end.
Pronger, who hasn’t played a game in almost two full years after suffering another concussion, had a reputation of being a nasty blue liner to play against.
That’s an element of his game Nurse would like further emphasize, as he will take the next step into realizing his dream as a professional hockey player.
“You watch the game and [Pronger] has so much room just based on the fact of how hard he is to play against,” Nurse told CSN Philadelphia. “That is something I like to take away from his game.”
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 23
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)