Jun 29, 2013, 9:06 AM EDT
Roberto Luongo loves his poker. Loves it.
Well, he’ll be competing in the upcoming World Series of Poker Main Event in Las Vegas, beginning July 6, according to Pokerlistings.com.
Luongo, an avid card player and still a goaltender with the Vancouver Canucks, took part in last year’s WSOP Main Event, finishing 634th out of 6,598 players and earning $19,227 and his first official live tournament cash, as per Pokerlistings.com.
Of course, Luongo has been making headlines in the hockey world as well, as his future with the Canucks still remains uncertain.
The Canucks have tipped their hand, making it abundantly clear they are trying to trade the 34-year-old goalie – a gold medal winner with Canada at the 2010 Olympics and Stanley Cup finalist with Vancouver the following year.
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis had previously overestimated the trade market for Luongo, and has been unable to deal him for more than a full year now.
The largest obstacle in trying to trade Luongo is a massive contract. Luongo has nine years remaining on a 12-year deal worth $64 million.
The change in the goaltending dynamics in Vancouver occurred in the 2012 playoffs, when Cory Schneider took over the starting duties from Luongo, before the Canucks were eliminated in the opening round by the L.A. Kings.
The GM will once again try to trade Luongo this weekend, as the NHL Entry Draft takes place Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.
“We’re going to try and accomplish that goal,” Gillis told the Canadian Press this week. “We’ll see what happens.”
Sep 21, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
With Giroux out, Craig Berube juggles lines.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Not at Oilers camp for the first time in his career.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Columbus looking at options with Johansen not at camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
The restricted free agent seems to be at an impasse with Columbus.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said he’s “fine,” but he initially said the same of Clowe when the player had a concussion.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
The knee injury he sustained during the lockout shortened season might be partially to blame for his struggles.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
That’s after years of being the center of a goaltending controversy in Vancouver.
Sep 20, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Can they be the first repeat winners since Detroit in 1997-98?
Sep 20, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
He was asked how he would have handled the Ray Rice situation.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Do Thornton and Marleau disagree with coach Todd McLellan on this point?
Sep 20, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
It’s his first chance to provide his argument for why he should make the team.
Sep 20, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Tough timing for him as he had been playing alongside fellow countryman David Krejci.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Optimistic about sticking with the big club out of camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Expected to miss a couple days according to Randy Carlyle.
Sep 20, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Discussions regarding deal are on-going.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Experimentation process has begun as team looks for secondary scoring.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Stars searching for a suitable No. 2 behind Kari Lehtonen.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
After playing in just 16 games in 2013-14, he’s looking to be a contributor this season.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Undrafted defenseman looking to make an impression at camp.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 23
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)