Jun 29, 2013, 9:06 AM EST
Roberto Luongo loves his poker. Loves it.
Well, he’ll be competing in the upcoming World Series of Poker Main Event in Las Vegas, beginning July 6, according to Pokerlistings.com.
Luongo, an avid card player and still a goaltender with the Vancouver Canucks, took part in last year’s WSOP Main Event, finishing 634th out of 6,598 players and earning $19,227 and his first official live tournament cash, as per Pokerlistings.com.
Of course, Luongo has been making headlines in the hockey world as well, as his future with the Canucks still remains uncertain.
The Canucks have tipped their hand, making it abundantly clear they are trying to trade the 34-year-old goalie – a gold medal winner with Canada at the 2010 Olympics and Stanley Cup finalist with Vancouver the following year.
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis had previously overestimated the trade market for Luongo, and has been unable to deal him for more than a full year now.
The largest obstacle in trying to trade Luongo is a massive contract. Luongo has nine years remaining on a 12-year deal worth $64 million.
The change in the goaltending dynamics in Vancouver occurred in the 2012 playoffs, when Cory Schneider took over the starting duties from Luongo, before the Canucks were eliminated in the opening round by the L.A. Kings.
The GM will once again try to trade Luongo this weekend, as the NHL Entry Draft takes place Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.
“We’re going to try and accomplish that goal,” Gillis told the Canadian Press this week. “We’ll see what happens.”
Dec 9, 2013, 3:55 PM EST
Anaheim’s coming off two impressive wins over the ‘Hawks and Blues.
Dec 9, 2013, 3:17 PM EST
Tough times in the Chicago goal.
Dec 9, 2013, 2:45 PM EST
All the latest from the blue paint…
Dec 9, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
They’re in Anaheim to play the Ducks tonight.
Dec 9, 2013, 2:08 PM EST
Sounds like it could be.
Dec 9, 2013, 1:40 PM EST
And the players and coach seem to agree with the chart.
Dec 9, 2013, 1:37 PM EST
He’s been up, he’s been down.
Dec 9, 2013, 1:16 PM EST
The first punishment handed down from Saturday’s ugly Pittsburgh-Boston affair.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:47 PM EST
‘Canes play tonight in Vancouver and tomorrow in Edmonton.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:29 PM EST
Bit of a dream season for the 27-year-old hometown boy.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:29 PM EST
Free agent signing has been a disappointment this season.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:12 PM EST
“I guess I got him in the back of the leg.”
Dec 9, 2013, 11:49 AM EST
“Well that’s just super,” the Blue Jackets probably didn’t say.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:34 AM EST
It’s a mismatch on paper.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:23 AM EST
He led Philadelphia in scoring for a while.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:12 AM EST
Russian rookie is on fire at the moment.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:10 AM EST
Have won five of their last seven. Play tonight in Vancouver.
Dec 9, 2013, 10:54 AM EST
Hey, if you’re going to ask anybody…
Dec 9, 2013, 10:37 AM EST
Stemming from Saturday’s ugly incident vs. Boston.
Dec 9, 2013, 10:24 AM EST
It’s a Metropolitan Division throw-down.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 111
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 94
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 105
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (125)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (110)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (105)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (94)