Jun 29, 2013, 9:06 AM EDT
Roberto Luongo loves his poker. Loves it.
Well, he’ll be competing in the upcoming World Series of Poker Main Event in Las Vegas, beginning July 6, according to Pokerlistings.com.
Luongo, an avid card player and still a goaltender with the Vancouver Canucks, took part in last year’s WSOP Main Event, finishing 634th out of 6,598 players and earning $19,227 and his first official live tournament cash, as per Pokerlistings.com.
Of course, Luongo has been making headlines in the hockey world as well, as his future with the Canucks still remains uncertain.
The Canucks have tipped their hand, making it abundantly clear they are trying to trade the 34-year-old goalie – a gold medal winner with Canada at the 2010 Olympics and Stanley Cup finalist with Vancouver the following year.
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis had previously overestimated the trade market for Luongo, and has been unable to deal him for more than a full year now.
The largest obstacle in trying to trade Luongo is a massive contract. Luongo has nine years remaining on a 12-year deal worth $64 million.
The change in the goaltending dynamics in Vancouver occurred in the 2012 playoffs, when Cory Schneider took over the starting duties from Luongo, before the Canucks were eliminated in the opening round by the L.A. Kings.
The GM will once again try to trade Luongo this weekend, as the NHL Entry Draft takes place Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.
“We’re going to try and accomplish that goal,” Gillis told the Canadian Press this week. “We’ll see what happens.”
Aug 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
It blows the Kings goaltender’s mind that he’s not talked about more, so let’s discuss him.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He used to have that role with the Calgary Flames.
Aug 4, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
They signed him to a one-year deal while fellow breakout rookie Mark Stone got a three-year contract.
Aug 4, 2015, 6:28 PM EDT
Jim Benning follows through after calling him a “foundation piece.”
Aug 4, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Assuming of course Bill Foley succeeds in his attempt to bring the NHL to Sin City.
Aug 4, 2015, 4:55 PM EDT
Where should we set the bar post-Babcock?
Aug 4, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT
That didn’t work out for them.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
Yes, it’s the inevitable, perennial Red Wings question.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
MLBAM will handle NHL.com, Center Ice, Game Center Live and the NHL Network in 2016.
Aug 4, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
Can Jimmy Howard and Petr Mrazek get it done, collectively?
Aug 4, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Adding a wealth of experience.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
The skilled Swede may or may not be ready to start the season.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT
He’s already made a positive impression on Jeff Blashill.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:08 AM EDT
Mike Babcock’s act is a tough one to follow.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The book has closed on the Mike Babcock era.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The squads will feature players that were part of either organization from 1996-2002
Aug 3, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
He’ll be fighting to be seen as the team’s third-string goaltender.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
He’s already improved the perception of the franchise, but will he have that kind of impact long-term?
Aug 3, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
He’ll have a tough time maintaining a top-six role though.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)