Jun 29, 2013, 9:06 AM EST
Roberto Luongo loves his poker. Loves it.
Well, he’ll be competing in the upcoming World Series of Poker Main Event in Las Vegas, beginning July 6, according to Pokerlistings.com.
Luongo, an avid card player and still a goaltender with the Vancouver Canucks, took part in last year’s WSOP Main Event, finishing 634th out of 6,598 players and earning $19,227 and his first official live tournament cash, as per Pokerlistings.com.
Of course, Luongo has been making headlines in the hockey world as well, as his future with the Canucks still remains uncertain.
The Canucks have tipped their hand, making it abundantly clear they are trying to trade the 34-year-old goalie – a gold medal winner with Canada at the 2010 Olympics and Stanley Cup finalist with Vancouver the following year.
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis had previously overestimated the trade market for Luongo, and has been unable to deal him for more than a full year now.
The largest obstacle in trying to trade Luongo is a massive contract. Luongo has nine years remaining on a 12-year deal worth $64 million.
The change in the goaltending dynamics in Vancouver occurred in the 2012 playoffs, when Cory Schneider took over the starting duties from Luongo, before the Canucks were eliminated in the opening round by the L.A. Kings.
The GM will once again try to trade Luongo this weekend, as the NHL Entry Draft takes place Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.
“We’re going to try and accomplish that goal,” Gillis told the Canadian Press this week. “We’ll see what happens.”
Jan 27, 2015, 9:41 AM EST
The guy has a thing for Predators. (Crowd boos.)
Jan 27, 2015, 8:28 AM EST
Tuesday’s snowy links.
Jan 27, 2015, 1:35 AM EST
He’ll likely start Tuesday paired with Dan Hamhuis.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:30 AM EST
Latvia could soon have another NHLer to cheer for.
Jan 26, 2015, 11:30 PM EST
The Isles have won both meetings this season.
Jan 26, 2015, 10:25 PM EST
He’s missed 13 games recovering from surgery on his fractured left wrist.
Jan 26, 2015, 9:30 PM EST
Several players had to make alternate arrangements leaving the All-Star Game.
Jan 26, 2015, 8:35 PM EST
Expected to play Wednesday against the Leafs
Jan 26, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
He’s a repeat offender.
Jan 26, 2015, 7:10 PM EST
Teams have till noon eastern time Tuesday to place a claim on the forward.
Jan 26, 2015, 6:16 PM EST
The Avalanche are trying to claw their way into the playoffs.
Jan 26, 2015, 5:52 PM EST
Minnesota had three healthy goaltenders on its roster.
Jan 26, 2015, 4:59 PM EST
Who will play this week?
Jan 26, 2015, 4:22 PM EST
This might be the result of fighting in back-to-back games.
Jan 26, 2015, 3:31 PM EST
Will Mikhail Grabovski step up?
Jan 26, 2015, 3:12 PM EST
The post-All-Star Game portion of the season isn’t starting any better for Buffalo.
Jan 26, 2015, 2:21 PM EST
He’s been overseeing co-coaches Adam Oates and Scott Stevens.
Jan 26, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
He didn’t end up playing in the All-Star Game.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:31 PM EST
Remember, the club opted not to amnesty his contract last June.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:23 PM EST
Canucks will give Frank Corrado a chance to show what he can do.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 46
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)