Jun 29, 2013, 9:06 AM EDT
Roberto Luongo loves his poker. Loves it.
Well, he’ll be competing in the upcoming World Series of Poker Main Event in Las Vegas, beginning July 6, according to Pokerlistings.com.
Luongo, an avid card player and still a goaltender with the Vancouver Canucks, took part in last year’s WSOP Main Event, finishing 634th out of 6,598 players and earning $19,227 and his first official live tournament cash, as per Pokerlistings.com.
Of course, Luongo has been making headlines in the hockey world as well, as his future with the Canucks still remains uncertain.
The Canucks have tipped their hand, making it abundantly clear they are trying to trade the 34-year-old goalie – a gold medal winner with Canada at the 2010 Olympics and Stanley Cup finalist with Vancouver the following year.
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis had previously overestimated the trade market for Luongo, and has been unable to deal him for more than a full year now.
The largest obstacle in trying to trade Luongo is a massive contract. Luongo has nine years remaining on a 12-year deal worth $64 million.
The change in the goaltending dynamics in Vancouver occurred in the 2012 playoffs, when Cory Schneider took over the starting duties from Luongo, before the Canucks were eliminated in the opening round by the L.A. Kings.
The GM will once again try to trade Luongo this weekend, as the NHL Entry Draft takes place Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.
“We’re going to try and accomplish that goal,” Gillis told the Canadian Press this week. “We’ll see what happens.”
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession 12
- Video: Controversial Kane goal has Laviolette fuming 10
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 6
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 36
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 45
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38