Jun 28, 2013, 11:36 AM EST
On Thursday, we moved one step closer to the NHL ditching the spin-o-rama in shootouts. The league’s Board of Governors gave their approval of the change, which now just needs to go through the NHLPA for one final okay.
Spin-o-ramas can be fun to watch, but NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan argues that this is a matter of “integrity.”
“I think that there’s some very entertaining moves that you can still do in a shootout,” Shanahan told the Sporting News. “I think when we looked at some of the spin-o-ramas, there was a lot of interference with goaltenders, there was a lot of questions as to whether the puck was still moving forward or the player was still moving forward.
“So, certainly it’s all about entertainment, but it’s also about the integrity of the goal. I think that, over time, that’s become more and more in question.
“In communicating with the NHLPA and the competition committee, they agreed, and the goaltenders, and the forwards, and the scorers—is it entertaining? Yes. Is it always agreed upon that these goals have the integrity of what should be a goal? Not necessarily.
“So I think that was the reason, and when you look at some of the goals I’ve seen from guys like (Calder Trophy winner Jonathan) Huberdeau and (Detroit Red Wings star Pavel) Datsyuk, it doesn’t have to be a spin-o-rama to be an entertaining goal in a shootout.”
Shanahan is obviously far from the only critic of the spin-o-rama. Mike Milbury strongly argued against it in 2012:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- PHT Morning Skate: Saying goodbye to Martin Brodeur (plus a brutal Sidney Crosby typo) 1
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 49
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 14
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)