Jun 28, 2013, 8:02 AM EDT
Team USA will officially announce their 2014 Olympic staff tomorrow, but a USA Today report has already surfaced about their selections.
Nashville Predators GM David Poile has reportedly been tapped to be the team’s general manager and Pittsburgh Penguins GM Ray Shero will serve as his assistant.
Shero won’t be the only key member of the Pittsburgh Penguins helping America on its quest to win a gold medal. Penguins coach Dan Bylsma is expected to be named as the United States’ bench boss.
Bylsma beat out John Tortorella for the gig and the reason for that might not be entirely related to their respective abilities behind the bench. Per Kevin Allen of the USA Today:
Tortorella damaged his public image this season with hostile news conferences while with the New York Rangers and a cursing incident during an NBC interview. It had to make him a less attractive candidate. One reason why the NHL allows it players and coaches to go the Olympics is to help grow the game. Tortorella’s behavior this season didn’t help him.
Meanwhile, Brian Burke will still be involved with the team, even if he will reportedly not retain his 2010 job as the general manager. The Anaheim Ducks consultant will serve as Team USA’s director of player development.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)