Jun 28, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
Nathan Horton is interested in re-signing with Boston, but his reported contract demands might be too rich for the Bruins.
The 28-year-old forward is seeking roughly $6 million per season on a five or six year contract, according to a CSN New England source.
He’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on July 5 and might get that much on the open market. Although his regular season numbers have left something to be desired, Horton has scored 15 goals and 36 points in 43 career playoff contests.
The Boston Bruins might even entertain such a deal, but it wouldn’t be surprising if they bulk at that price given their present situation. Boston doesn’t have a ton of cap space and still needs to re-sign goaltender Tuukka Rask, won’t come cheap.
That being said, the Bruins might be able to clear space by making a trade or exercising one of their compliance buyouts.
“I’ve always said, like I said, I love the guys,” Horton said. “The team is great, and it’s a fun place to play.
“Other than that, I don’t know what’s going to happen. I couldn’t tell you throughout the year that was going to happen, I don’t know and we’ll see what happens.”
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 24
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 27
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)