Jun 28, 2013, 3:07 PM EST
Nathan Horton is interested in re-signing with Boston, but his reported contract demands might be too rich for the Bruins.
The 28-year-old forward is seeking roughly $6 million per season on a five or six year contract, according to a CSN New England source.
He’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on July 5 and might get that much on the open market. Although his regular season numbers have left something to be desired, Horton has scored 15 goals and 36 points in 43 career playoff contests.
The Boston Bruins might even entertain such a deal, but it wouldn’t be surprising if they bulk at that price given their present situation. Boston doesn’t have a ton of cap space and still needs to re-sign goaltender Tuukka Rask, won’t come cheap.
That being said, the Bruins might be able to clear space by making a trade or exercising one of their compliance buyouts.
“I’ve always said, like I said, I love the guys,” Horton said. “The team is great, and it’s a fun place to play.
“Other than that, I don’t know what’s going to happen. I couldn’t tell you throughout the year that was going to happen, I don’t know and we’ll see what happens.”
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 20
- Mike Richards clears waivers 27
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)