Jun 28, 2013, 3:07 PM EST
Nathan Horton is interested in re-signing with Boston, but his reported contract demands might be too rich for the Bruins.
The 28-year-old forward is seeking roughly $6 million per season on a five or six year contract, according to a CSN New England source.
He’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on July 5 and might get that much on the open market. Although his regular season numbers have left something to be desired, Horton has scored 15 goals and 36 points in 43 career playoff contests.
The Boston Bruins might even entertain such a deal, but it wouldn’t be surprising if they bulk at that price given their present situation. Boston doesn’t have a ton of cap space and still needs to re-sign goaltender Tuukka Rask, won’t come cheap.
That being said, the Bruins might be able to clear space by making a trade or exercising one of their compliance buyouts.
“I’ve always said, like I said, I love the guys,” Horton said. “The team is great, and it’s a fun place to play.
“Other than that, I don’t know what’s going to happen. I couldn’t tell you throughout the year that was going to happen, I don’t know and we’ll see what happens.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 0
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 0
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 20
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)