Jun 28, 2013, 3:07 PM EST
Nathan Horton is interested in re-signing with Boston, but his reported contract demands might be too rich for the Bruins.
The 28-year-old forward is seeking roughly $6 million per season on a five or six year contract, according to a CSN New England source.
He’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on July 5 and might get that much on the open market. Although his regular season numbers have left something to be desired, Horton has scored 15 goals and 36 points in 43 career playoff contests.
The Boston Bruins might even entertain such a deal, but it wouldn’t be surprising if they bulk at that price given their present situation. Boston doesn’t have a ton of cap space and still needs to re-sign goaltender Tuukka Rask, won’t come cheap.
That being said, the Bruins might be able to clear space by making a trade or exercising one of their compliance buyouts.
“I’ve always said, like I said, I love the guys,” Horton said. “The team is great, and it’s a fun place to play.
“Other than that, I don’t know what’s going to happen. I couldn’t tell you throughout the year that was going to happen, I don’t know and we’ll see what happens.”
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 35
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 70
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 66
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 33
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)