Jun 28, 2013, 7:52 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets face an interesting challenge in retaining 2013 Vezina Trophy winner Sergei Bobrovsky this summer, but the team told the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline that they’re not looking to trade the pending free agent’s negotiating rights during draft weekend.
Considering the fact that he’s a restricted free agent, the Blue Jackets have some advantages when it comes to signing (or at least getting assets in return for) the 24-year-old goalie.
Then again, the 29 other NHL teams might not be the problem. The KHL boasts about an “excellent offer” it is dangling for Bobrovsky, which he could agree to as early as July 1 (as opposed to the NHL’s free agent kickoff date of July 5).
For what it’s worth, still-new Blue Jackets team president John Davidson believes that the Blue Jackets will retain his services.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 8
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)