Jun 28, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
Mike Weber was drafted by the Buffalo Sabres in 2006 and it looks like he won’t be leaving the organization anytime soon. The Sabres announced that they have inked the 25-year-old defenseman to a multi-year contract.
The team didn’t go into further details about the terms of the deal, but Buffalo News says it’s a three-year, $5 million contract. That’s a sizable jump from his expiring two-year, $1.9 million agreement. Weber would have become a restricted free agent on July 5.
Weber isn’t known for his offensive contributions, but he is a physical blueliner. He had 70 penalty minutes, 122 hits, and 92 blocked shots in just 42 contests last season. He’s also starting to play more of a leadership role with the Sabres.
“Mike Weber is one of those players that made a real big jump this year in terms of what he meant to our hockey team, how he plays the game, just the potential that he has to continue to grow on this team,” Sabres coach Ron Rolston told the Buffalo News in May. “It put a player like Mike in more of a leadership role because of what he did and because of the minutes that he had. He was in the lineup every night blocking shots, sacrificing for his teammates.
“He’s put himself in a situation where he can be one of those guys that are in the room and holding guys accountable.”
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 4
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 5
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 9
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 8
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 17
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (51)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)