Jun 28, 2013, 9:01 AM EST
Mike Weber was drafted by the Buffalo Sabres in 2006 and it looks like he won’t be leaving the organization anytime soon. The Sabres announced that they have inked the 25-year-old defenseman to a multi-year contract.
The team didn’t go into further details about the terms of the deal, but Buffalo News says it’s a three-year, $5 million contract. That’s a sizable jump from his expiring two-year, $1.9 million agreement. Weber would have become a restricted free agent on July 5.
Weber isn’t known for his offensive contributions, but he is a physical blueliner. He had 70 penalty minutes, 122 hits, and 92 blocked shots in just 42 contests last season. He’s also starting to play more of a leadership role with the Sabres.
“Mike Weber is one of those players that made a real big jump this year in terms of what he meant to our hockey team, how he plays the game, just the potential that he has to continue to grow on this team,” Sabres coach Ron Rolston told the Buffalo News in May. “It put a player like Mike in more of a leadership role because of what he did and because of the minutes that he had. He was in the lineup every night blocking shots, sacrificing for his teammates.
“He’s put himself in a situation where he can be one of those guys that are in the room and holding guys accountable.”
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 13
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 12
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)