Jun 28, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
Mike Weber was drafted by the Buffalo Sabres in 2006 and it looks like he won’t be leaving the organization anytime soon. The Sabres announced that they have inked the 25-year-old defenseman to a multi-year contract.
The team didn’t go into further details about the terms of the deal, but Buffalo News says it’s a three-year, $5 million contract. That’s a sizable jump from his expiring two-year, $1.9 million agreement. Weber would have become a restricted free agent on July 5.
Weber isn’t known for his offensive contributions, but he is a physical blueliner. He had 70 penalty minutes, 122 hits, and 92 blocked shots in just 42 contests last season. He’s also starting to play more of a leadership role with the Sabres.
“Mike Weber is one of those players that made a real big jump this year in terms of what he meant to our hockey team, how he plays the game, just the potential that he has to continue to grow on this team,” Sabres coach Ron Rolston told the Buffalo News in May. “It put a player like Mike in more of a leadership role because of what he did and because of the minutes that he had. He was in the lineup every night blocking shots, sacrificing for his teammates.
“He’s put himself in a situation where he can be one of those guys that are in the room and holding guys accountable.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)