Jun 28, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
Mike Weber was drafted by the Buffalo Sabres in 2006 and it looks like he won’t be leaving the organization anytime soon. The Sabres announced that they have inked the 25-year-old defenseman to a multi-year contract.
The team didn’t go into further details about the terms of the deal, but Buffalo News says it’s a three-year, $5 million contract. That’s a sizable jump from his expiring two-year, $1.9 million agreement. Weber would have become a restricted free agent on July 5.
Weber isn’t known for his offensive contributions, but he is a physical blueliner. He had 70 penalty minutes, 122 hits, and 92 blocked shots in just 42 contests last season. He’s also starting to play more of a leadership role with the Sabres.
“Mike Weber is one of those players that made a real big jump this year in terms of what he meant to our hockey team, how he plays the game, just the potential that he has to continue to grow on this team,” Sabres coach Ron Rolston told the Buffalo News in May. “It put a player like Mike in more of a leadership role because of what he did and because of the minutes that he had. He was in the lineup every night blocking shots, sacrificing for his teammates.
“He’s put himself in a situation where he can be one of those guys that are in the room and holding guys accountable.”
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)