Jun 28, 2013, 9:01 AM EST
Mike Weber was drafted by the Buffalo Sabres in 2006 and it looks like he won’t be leaving the organization anytime soon. The Sabres announced that they have inked the 25-year-old defenseman to a multi-year contract.
The team didn’t go into further details about the terms of the deal, but Buffalo News says it’s a three-year, $5 million contract. That’s a sizable jump from his expiring two-year, $1.9 million agreement. Weber would have become a restricted free agent on July 5.
Weber isn’t known for his offensive contributions, but he is a physical blueliner. He had 70 penalty minutes, 122 hits, and 92 blocked shots in just 42 contests last season. He’s also starting to play more of a leadership role with the Sabres.
“Mike Weber is one of those players that made a real big jump this year in terms of what he meant to our hockey team, how he plays the game, just the potential that he has to continue to grow on this team,” Sabres coach Ron Rolston told the Buffalo News in May. “It put a player like Mike in more of a leadership role because of what he did and because of the minutes that he had. He was in the lineup every night blocking shots, sacrificing for his teammates.
“He’s put himself in a situation where he can be one of those guys that are in the room and holding guys accountable.”
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 32
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 1
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 16
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 27
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)