Jun 28, 2013, 2:12 PM EST
Leading up to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft in New Jersey, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Sunday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Hunter Shinkaruk (LW/C)
Height: 5’10 Weight: 181 Shoots: Left
Team: Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 6 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
Shinkaruk is a great offensive talent, capable of creating chances and finding the back of the net. After recording 49 goals and 91 points while playing with Ducks prospect Emerson Etem in 2011-12, but Shinkaruk didn’t have the luxury of being on the same team as Etem last season. All the same, Shinkaruk scored 37 goals and 86 points in 64 contests to show that who he’s playing with isn’t the biggest factor in his success.
That being said, Shinkaruk’s size is an area of concern and he’ll need to work on his defensive game. In other words, he’s a bit more of a long-term project, but one that could end with him serving as a top-six forward.
He loves the game of hockey, loves to practice and play games, loves to score goals and loves to win. I’ve been around with the Tigers for a long time, and have seen a lot of great players move on to the next level like the Kris Russells, the Tyler Ennis’, the Darren Helms and the Clarke MacArthurs, and they all have that determination, that belief that they will make it to the NHL, and that’s what Hunter has in him.” — Tigers GM and coach Shaun Clouston (as per WHL.ca)
For more 2013 NHL Draft Previews, click here.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)