Jun 28, 2013, 2:12 PM EDT
Leading up to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft in New Jersey, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Sunday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Hunter Shinkaruk (LW/C)
Height: 5’10 Weight: 181 Shoots: Left
Team: Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 6 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
Shinkaruk is a great offensive talent, capable of creating chances and finding the back of the net. After recording 49 goals and 91 points while playing with Ducks prospect Emerson Etem in 2011-12, but Shinkaruk didn’t have the luxury of being on the same team as Etem last season. All the same, Shinkaruk scored 37 goals and 86 points in 64 contests to show that who he’s playing with isn’t the biggest factor in his success.
That being said, Shinkaruk’s size is an area of concern and he’ll need to work on his defensive game. In other words, he’s a bit more of a long-term project, but one that could end with him serving as a top-six forward.
He loves the game of hockey, loves to practice and play games, loves to score goals and loves to win. I’ve been around with the Tigers for a long time, and have seen a lot of great players move on to the next level like the Kris Russells, the Tyler Ennis’, the Darren Helms and the Clarke MacArthurs, and they all have that determination, that belief that they will make it to the NHL, and that’s what Hunter has in him.” — Tigers GM and coach Shaun Clouston (as per WHL.ca)
For more 2013 NHL Draft Previews, click here.
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 32
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10