Jun 28, 2013, 11:08 PM EDT
Leading up to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft in New Jersey, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Sunday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Darnell Nurse (D)
Height: 6’4 Weight: 185 Shoots: Left
Team: Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 4 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
Much like Seth Jones, Darnell Nurse grew up in a family full of high-end athletes. His parents played at high levels, yet you might know his uncle the best: former Philadelphia Eagles QB Donovan McNabb.
He shares other similarities with Jones, as he also draws plenty of Chris Pronger comparisons. That makes sense as most regard him as an outstanding stay-at-home defenseman. (Some evoke the names Shea Weber and Dion Phaneuf instead, so the theme is size, physicality and a healthy helping of nastiness.)
He’s shown a decent amount of offensive skill, scoring 12 goals and 41 points in 68 games during his second season at the junior level.
Still, the main draw will likely come from a team looking for a bruising blueliner with prototypical size and the kind of bloodlines that imply something special.
Greyhounds head coach Sheldon Keefe told Hockey’s Future that Nurse is part of a “new wave” of defensemen.
“When you talk about those top-level NHL defensemen, he has the potential to do that,” Keefe said. “But when you look at all the different tools that he brings to the table, he really is the next wave of defensemen coming into the NHL — these natural athletes, these top guys. You saw how he performed at the Top Prospects Game, how well he did … you usually don’t see those results from big guys. I think he’s got a lot of tools that are going to bring some very interesting options for the team that’s lucky enough to draft him.”
For more 2013 NHL Draft previews, click here.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)