Jun 28, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
Leading up to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft in New Jersey, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Sunday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Alexander Wennberg (C)
Height: 6’1 Weight: 174 Shoots: Left
Team: Djurgardens IF Stockholm (Swe-1)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 5 among European skaters
What kind of player is he?
Wennberg is a two-way center that’s a bit of a long-term project. He plans to stay in Sweden for at least the 2013-14 and fill out his frame in the process, based on his Draft Combine interview.
He’s a smart and determined player on the ice with plenty of offensive upside. He’s the type of guy that could end up scoring goals in a lot of different ways and also set up others when the situation calls for it. He marries that with sound defensive play. Once he completes his goal of getting stronger and gets some NHL experience, he could serve as a nice addition to any team.
“Wennberg is a very smooth skating, efficient Swede. He plays the game well at both ends of the ice and has a great deal of hockey sense. He is more prone to setting up goals, yet one should not underestimate his ability to score.” — Trent Klatt, Islanders Player Development (via the Islanders’ website)
For more 2013 NHL Draft Previews, click here.
- Kopitar + adorable dog = best day with the Stanley Cup? 9
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets’ next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 31
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 40
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 72
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 171
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (171)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (72)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (64)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)