Jun 28, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
Leading up to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft in New Jersey, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Sunday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Alexander Wennberg (C)
Height: 6’1 Weight: 174 Shoots: Left
Team: Djurgardens IF Stockholm (Swe-1)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 5 among European skaters
What kind of player is he?
Wennberg is a two-way center that’s a bit of a long-term project. He plans to stay in Sweden for at least the 2013-14 and fill out his frame in the process, based on his Draft Combine interview.
He’s a smart and determined player on the ice with plenty of offensive upside. He’s the type of guy that could end up scoring goals in a lot of different ways and also set up others when the situation calls for it. He marries that with sound defensive play. Once he completes his goal of getting stronger and gets some NHL experience, he could serve as a nice addition to any team.
“Wennberg is a very smooth skating, efficient Swede. He plays the game well at both ends of the ice and has a great deal of hockey sense. He is more prone to setting up goals, yet one should not underestimate his ability to score.” — Trent Klatt, Islanders Player Development (via the Islanders’ website)
For more 2013 NHL Draft Previews, click here.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)