Jun 28, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
Leading up to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft in New Jersey, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Sunday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Alexander Wennberg (C)
Height: 6’1 Weight: 174 Shoots: Left
Team: Djurgardens IF Stockholm (Swe-1)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 5 among European skaters
What kind of player is he?
Wennberg is a two-way center that’s a bit of a long-term project. He plans to stay in Sweden for at least the 2013-14 and fill out his frame in the process, based on his Draft Combine interview.
He’s a smart and determined player on the ice with plenty of offensive upside. He’s the type of guy that could end up scoring goals in a lot of different ways and also set up others when the situation calls for it. He marries that with sound defensive play. Once he completes his goal of getting stronger and gets some NHL experience, he could serve as a nice addition to any team.
“Wennberg is a very smooth skating, efficient Swede. He plays the game well at both ends of the ice and has a great deal of hockey sense. He is more prone to setting up goals, yet one should not underestimate his ability to score.” — Trent Klatt, Islanders Player Development (via the Islanders’ website)
For more 2013 NHL Draft Previews, click here.
- Report: Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 0
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 20
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 29
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 25
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24