Jun 28, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
Leading up to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft in New Jersey, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Sunday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Alexander Wennberg (C)
Height: 6’1 Weight: 174 Shoots: Left
Team: Djurgardens IF Stockholm (Swe-1)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 5 among European skaters
What kind of player is he?
Wennberg is a two-way center that’s a bit of a long-term project. He plans to stay in Sweden for at least the 2013-14 and fill out his frame in the process, based on his Draft Combine interview.
He’s a smart and determined player on the ice with plenty of offensive upside. He’s the type of guy that could end up scoring goals in a lot of different ways and also set up others when the situation calls for it. He marries that with sound defensive play. Once he completes his goal of getting stronger and gets some NHL experience, he could serve as a nice addition to any team.
“Wennberg is a very smooth skating, efficient Swede. He plays the game well at both ends of the ice and has a great deal of hockey sense. He is more prone to setting up goals, yet one should not underestimate his ability to score.” — Trent Klatt, Islanders Player Development (via the Islanders’ website)
For more 2013 NHL Draft Previews, click here.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 3
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 13
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 16
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)