Jun 28, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
A lot of players (and also head coach Claude Julien) received immense credit for the Boston Bruins’ second run to the Stanley Cup Final in three years, but GM Peter Chiarelli is the person who constructed the roster. CSNNE.com reports that the franchise has discussed a contract extension with the executive multiple times during the last few months.
Chiarelli’s contract is set to expire after the 2013-14 season, prompting team president Cam Neely to admit that he deserves a contract extension.
“I think the job that both Pete [Chiarelli] and Claude [Julien] have done since they’ve been here is something that we certainly hope would happen where we get the team back to relevance, and give us an opportunity to compete for championships. Ultimately, we did win one,” Neely said. “We got to the Finals, and it’s very disappointing to lose in the Finals, obviously. But to acquire the types of players, and draft and develop the types of players that are going to help us win championships is what Peter and Donny [Don Sweeney] and Jim Benning have done.”
Perhaps the organization wants to see him make things work once more.
It won’t be easy to make everything work with an estimated $5.8 million in cap space, but Chiarelli has shown that he can deftly manage the cap and other concerns in the past.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
(Waits for “everything” jokes.)
Nov 22, 2014, 1:45 AM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 12:40 AM EST
Booed off the ice at the end of this game.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:52 PM EST
It was nice.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:29 PM EST
Going from bad to worse for Edmonton.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:51 PM EST
Lucic didn’t drop his gloves. Prout did. History between these two.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:17 PM EST
There’s a history between these two.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:02 PM EST
Columbus was leading 2-0 at the time.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EST
Ranks seventh in the NHL in ice time.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:49 PM EST
Possible headbutt in this fight?
Nov 21, 2014, 8:11 PM EST
They’ve won big and they’ve lost big.
Nov 21, 2014, 7:14 PM EST
A San Jose draft pick from 2008.
Nov 21, 2014, 6:37 PM EST
Avs call up a trio of players from the AHL.
Nov 21, 2014, 5:31 PM EST
“I really feel bad for him. It appears his parents mismanaged his money.”
Nov 21, 2014, 4:40 PM EST
Pursuant to the “Bona Fide Long-Term Injury Exception” section of the CBA.
Nov 21, 2014, 4:21 PM EST
That’s a guy shoveling snow off his roof in Buffalo.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:43 PM EST
D-man for d-man.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:17 PM EST
Currently out of the playoff picture in the Western Conference.
Nov 21, 2014, 2:29 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 21, 2014, 2:21 PM EST
Even coach DeBoer is surprised a backup hasn’t started yet.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 5
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 45
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 38
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (45)