Jun 28, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
A lot of players (and also head coach Claude Julien) received immense credit for the Boston Bruins’ second run to the Stanley Cup Final in three years, but GM Peter Chiarelli is the person who constructed the roster. CSNNE.com reports that the franchise has discussed a contract extension with the executive multiple times during the last few months.
Chiarelli’s contract is set to expire after the 2013-14 season, prompting team president Cam Neely to admit that he deserves a contract extension.
“I think the job that both Pete [Chiarelli] and Claude [Julien] have done since they’ve been here is something that we certainly hope would happen where we get the team back to relevance, and give us an opportunity to compete for championships. Ultimately, we did win one,” Neely said. “We got to the Finals, and it’s very disappointing to lose in the Finals, obviously. But to acquire the types of players, and draft and develop the types of players that are going to help us win championships is what Peter and Donny [Don Sweeney] and Jim Benning have done.”
Perhaps the organization wants to see him make things work once more.
It won’t be easy to make everything work with an estimated $5.8 million in cap space, but Chiarelli has shown that he can deftly manage the cap and other concerns in the past.
Nov 24, 2014, 9:01 PM EST
They enter the second period tied with Pittsburgh 2-2.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:42 PM EST
Carl Soderberg – Loui Eriksson – Milan Lucic combined for a pretty one.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:33 PM EST
Maybe making room for Dany Heatley?
Nov 24, 2014, 8:20 PM EST
Nov 24, 2014, 7:34 PM EST
It could be challenging if the cap ceiling doesn’t rise much.
Nov 24, 2014, 7:07 PM EST
Calvin de Haan and Thomas Hickey are out, Matt Donovan’s in.
Nov 24, 2014, 6:45 PM EST
He’ll pester the Pittsburgh Penguins on NBCSN tonight.
Nov 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
A rematch of the 2013 Eastern Conference Final.
Nov 24, 2014, 4:22 PM EST
Also, Brad Marchand’s off IR.
Nov 24, 2014, 4:11 PM EST
Another veteran d-man gets a look.
Nov 24, 2014, 3:41 PM EST
Combined cap hit? $1.76 million.
Combined points? 34.
Nov 24, 2014, 3:37 PM EST
Tonight on NBCSN.
Nov 24, 2014, 2:56 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 24, 2014, 1:47 PM EST
Yes, that picture is a hint.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:43 PM EST
Habs sit atop the NHL standings, yet face a bunch of questions.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:35 PM EST
Injured during Saturday’s win over Detroit.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Dustin Schwartz will replace Frederic Chabot.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:13 PM EST
There’s a headline I never expected to type.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:09 PM EST
Just his second NHL game of the season.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:37 AM EST
Canucks rookie who models his game after Jonathan Toews has four points in his last two games.
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 0
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 21
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans': Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans': Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)