Bernier was ‘miserable’ in Los Angeles

Jun 28, 2013, 1:02 PM EDT

Jonathan Bernier AP

Toronto goaltender James Reimer previously admitted that the Maple Leafs’ decision to bring in another promising young netminder in Jonathan Bernier made him feel “doubted.”

Now it sounds like he just feels determined.

“I don’t plan on giving up the net,” Reimer told TSN.ca. “I don’t plan on giving up that starters’ spot right now, not to be a jerk about it obviously.”

Reimer’s had some time to step back and reflect on what this means and thinks this new challenge will make him a better goaltender.

“I’m sure Bernier’s coming in wanting nothing but that starting job,” Reimer said.

That’s a safe bet. Bernier was stuck behind Jonathan Quick in Los Angeles and now he has a real opportunity to prove that he’s capable of serving as a number one goaltender.

“I was pretty miserable in L.A.,” Bernier told 590 the Fan, according to the Toronto Sun. “It was really hard. I play hockey to play games, not only practice.”

Bernier certainly has the potential to become a starter in the NHL, but Reimer is coming off of a strong season. Both will likely get chances early in 2013-14 as they each attempt to gain an edge over the other.

1. jacketsfan7 - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I agree on what bernier said , he probs liked the organization and city , but was miserable with no playing time

2. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Nothing wrong with having two #1 guys battling it out (so long as their contracts are movable).

• r4n6er - Jun 28, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Not sure it would be 2 #1 guys…

3. endusersolutions2013 - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Actually, likely due to the character if the individuals and coaches, Chicago had a very effective goalie tandem this year. with both goalies among the leaders. There was no “controversy”. Probably would have seen some of Ray Emery in the playoffs if he had not been injured at the end of the regular season and was not even the official backup for the 1st series.

4. endusersolutions2013 - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Unfortunately, due to the Islanders need to get a goalie who can play well in the playoffs (vs. Nabokov’s .840 save% against the Pens), and their having the most cap space in the league, I suspect they’ll make a SERIOUS offer for UFA Ray Emery.

5. mehetmet - Jun 28, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I don’t think I’d be miserable getting paid millions to watch other people play hockey…Then again that’s just me.

• 19to77 - Jun 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM

It’s not just a paycheque and a day job to these guys. They had to spend their youth playing and training at cost, travelling constantly and giving the time and work ethic to get their shot at the NHL. Few people just do that for the money. It’s a passion, not a job. I’m sure it’s hard to work so much to make it there and find yourself barely even getting to play.

• spiciercheez - Jun 28, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I agree, but at the same time, the money is obviously very important. There was a lockout for a reason.

• sunderlanding - Jun 28, 2013 at 4:47 PM

That’s why your writting comments on “prohockeytalk.com” and not playing in the NHL.

6. LampyB - Jun 28, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Bernier will take over #1 spot. No doubt, he’s going to be Tuuka Rask caliber.

• alswingman - Jun 28, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Rask is ok, not great. Bernier has potential at this point. Only playing time will tell for sure. Reimer is kind of a backup that has had spurts of hot streaks. He won the job when everyone above him on the depth chart bombed out. In no way is he solid which is why the Leafs brought in competition.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches