Jun 28, 2013, 10:48 AM EDT
If anyone doubted Boston Bruins forward Patrice Bergeron’s toughness before, they don’t now. He played in Game 6 with a broken rib, torn rib cartilage and a separated shoulder. If that wasn’t enough, it was later revealed that he had a small puncture in his lung.
He was consequently hospitalized after the Bruins were eliminated from the Stanley Cup Final. That’s after he was forced to leave Game 5 to go to the hospital.
So yeah, his toughness isn’t in question, but what some people are asking is if he should have played through those types of injuries. His agent, Kent Hughes, thinks Bergeron was very comfortable with his decision and wouldn’t have played if he was subjecting himself to unreasonable health risks.
“One thing I know for sure is that Bergy’s a pretty thoughtful person,” Hughes told the Boston Globe. “He’s well thought out, not emotional at all, when it comes to this sort of stuff. For example, he didn’t talk through [the decision to play] with me that day, and that tells me he was confident in how he felt about it.
“He’s bright. He’d ask all the questions, like, ‘How much more could I be hurt, if . . . ?’ So, obviously, I can’t speak for him, but I’d be very surprised if he looked back and think or wish that he’d done anything differently. He’s not stupid brave.”
Hughes also said that Bergeron left the hospital on Wednesday and should be fine after the fatigue and pain fade.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)