Jun 27, 2013, 1:36 PM EDT
What role Flyers owner Ed Snider played in the decision to sign goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov to nine-year, $51 million deal in the first place is open to debate. However, it was Flyers GM Paul Holmgren’s decision to buy out Bryzgalov — and he’s backing that call.
“I fully support Paul Holmgren in his decision to use our final compliance buyout for Ilya Bryzgalov,” Snider said, according to the Philadelphia Daily News. “It was a very difficult decision from a financial standpoint, but if Bryz remained a Flyer, the dollars would be far greater in a shorter timeframe.
“We now have cap space, which allows us to improve our team. In the meantime, Bryz can try to find a situation where he can achieve true happiness.”
Holmgren said he explained his reasoning to Snider and the conversation went “okay.”
He later issued a statement thanking Snider and those who supported him “through some very dark days and difficult situations.”
After that, his agent, Ritch Winter slammed the Flyers’ defensive system.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 10
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)