Jun 27, 2013, 1:36 PM EST
What role Flyers owner Ed Snider played in the decision to sign goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov to nine-year, $51 million deal in the first place is open to debate. However, it was Flyers GM Paul Holmgren’s decision to buy out Bryzgalov — and he’s backing that call.
“I fully support Paul Holmgren in his decision to use our final compliance buyout for Ilya Bryzgalov,” Snider said, according to the Philadelphia Daily News. “It was a very difficult decision from a financial standpoint, but if Bryz remained a Flyer, the dollars would be far greater in a shorter timeframe.
“We now have cap space, which allows us to improve our team. In the meantime, Bryz can try to find a situation where he can achieve true happiness.”
Holmgren said he explained his reasoning to Snider and the conversation went “okay.”
He later issued a statement thanking Snider and those who supported him “through some very dark days and difficult situations.”
After that, his agent, Ritch Winter slammed the Flyers’ defensive system.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 67
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (67)