Jun 27, 2013, 1:36 PM EDT
What role Flyers owner Ed Snider played in the decision to sign goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov to nine-year, $51 million deal in the first place is open to debate. However, it was Flyers GM Paul Holmgren’s decision to buy out Bryzgalov — and he’s backing that call.
“I fully support Paul Holmgren in his decision to use our final compliance buyout for Ilya Bryzgalov,” Snider said, according to the Philadelphia Daily News. “It was a very difficult decision from a financial standpoint, but if Bryz remained a Flyer, the dollars would be far greater in a shorter timeframe.
“We now have cap space, which allows us to improve our team. In the meantime, Bryz can try to find a situation where he can achieve true happiness.”
Holmgren said he explained his reasoning to Snider and the conversation went “okay.”
He later issued a statement thanking Snider and those who supported him “through some very dark days and difficult situations.”
After that, his agent, Ritch Winter slammed the Flyers’ defensive system.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 8
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 29
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)