Jun 27, 2013, 8:05 AM EST
The New Jersey Devils will get another three years of forward Dainius Zubrus, according to a Bergen Record source. The exact financial terms of the deal are not yet known, but his annual cap hit is believed to be about $3 million.
If that’s true, it would represent a mild pay cut compared to the $3.4 million he had been earning annually over the last six seasons.
Although Zubrus said that the deal wasn’t finalized, he did emphasize his desire to stay within the organization that he’s played for since the start of 2007-08.
He’s a solid secondary scorer, but the 35-year-old coming off a rough season where he needed wrist surgery. He had two goals and nine points in just 22 contests as a result.
Zubrus is one of several Devils players that can become unrestricted free agents on July 5. Former 30-goal scorer David Clarkson is another that Devils GM Lou Lamoriello is trying to re-sign, but it sounds like those negotiations are not too far along.
“I’m continuing my dialogue with Lou,” Clarkson’s agent, Pat Morris said. “We haven’t gotten to economic specifics at all. It’s Lou trying to say the team will be in good shape and David can eliminate that worry from his mindset.
“David is digesting that information and we’ll go to the next phase if we can go to the next phase with it which is, hopefully, being able to listen to an economic position from New Jersey.”
The Devils are also still in danger of losing forward Patrik Elias, so even if Zubrus has agreed to terms, Lamoriello still has a lot of work left to do.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)