Jun 27, 2013, 8:05 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils will get another three years of forward Dainius Zubrus, according to a Bergen Record source. The exact financial terms of the deal are not yet known, but his annual cap hit is believed to be about $3 million.
If that’s true, it would represent a mild pay cut compared to the $3.4 million he had been earning annually over the last six seasons.
Although Zubrus said that the deal wasn’t finalized, he did emphasize his desire to stay within the organization that he’s played for since the start of 2007-08.
He’s a solid secondary scorer, but the 35-year-old coming off a rough season where he needed wrist surgery. He had two goals and nine points in just 22 contests as a result.
Zubrus is one of several Devils players that can become unrestricted free agents on July 5. Former 30-goal scorer David Clarkson is another that Devils GM Lou Lamoriello is trying to re-sign, but it sounds like those negotiations are not too far along.
“I’m continuing my dialogue with Lou,” Clarkson’s agent, Pat Morris said. “We haven’t gotten to economic specifics at all. It’s Lou trying to say the team will be in good shape and David can eliminate that worry from his mindset.
“David is digesting that information and we’ll go to the next phase if we can go to the next phase with it which is, hopefully, being able to listen to an economic position from New Jersey.”
The Devils are also still in danger of losing forward Patrik Elias, so even if Zubrus has agreed to terms, Lamoriello still has a lot of work left to do.
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 8
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 15
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 38
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)