Jun 27, 2013, 8:05 AM EST
The New Jersey Devils will get another three years of forward Dainius Zubrus, according to a Bergen Record source. The exact financial terms of the deal are not yet known, but his annual cap hit is believed to be about $3 million.
If that’s true, it would represent a mild pay cut compared to the $3.4 million he had been earning annually over the last six seasons.
Although Zubrus said that the deal wasn’t finalized, he did emphasize his desire to stay within the organization that he’s played for since the start of 2007-08.
He’s a solid secondary scorer, but the 35-year-old coming off a rough season where he needed wrist surgery. He had two goals and nine points in just 22 contests as a result.
Zubrus is one of several Devils players that can become unrestricted free agents on July 5. Former 30-goal scorer David Clarkson is another that Devils GM Lou Lamoriello is trying to re-sign, but it sounds like those negotiations are not too far along.
“I’m continuing my dialogue with Lou,” Clarkson’s agent, Pat Morris said. “We haven’t gotten to economic specifics at all. It’s Lou trying to say the team will be in good shape and David can eliminate that worry from his mindset.
“David is digesting that information and we’ll go to the next phase if we can go to the next phase with it which is, hopefully, being able to listen to an economic position from New Jersey.”
The Devils are also still in danger of losing forward Patrik Elias, so even if Zubrus has agreed to terms, Lamoriello still has a lot of work left to do.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 4
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)