Jun 27, 2013, 9:19 PM EST
Pittsburgh Penguins general manager Ray Shero is reportedly making as strong a bid as he can to lock up defenseman Kris Letang.
The 26-year-old Letang, who was operating at more than a point-per-game rate throughout the regular season, has one more year remaining on a four-year, $14 million contract.
Citing sources, Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported Thursday evening that Letang was offered an eight-year contract, worth “around $54 million.”
Update: According to Pierre LeBrun of ESPN and TSN, Letang’s camp informed the Penguins they would be turning down the club’s eight-year offer.
Also told that Letang camp counter-offered with a long-term deal which would pay less than $8 M (north of $7.5 M); Pens said too high—
Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) June 28, 2013
This past regular season, Letang had 38 points in 35 games. He also had 16 points in 15 playoff games, before the Penguins were eliminated by the Boston Bruins in the Eastern Conference final.
The past few days, the rumor mill has been churning around Letang.
There was a report that Letang was worried about his future with the Penguins, and that if a trade were necessary, he’d prefer to go to the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Letang’s agent, Kent Hughes, quickly denied his client had interest in going to Toronto.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)