Jun 27, 2013, 9:19 PM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins general manager Ray Shero is reportedly making as strong a bid as he can to lock up defenseman Kris Letang.
The 26-year-old Letang, who was operating at more than a point-per-game rate throughout the regular season, has one more year remaining on a four-year, $14 million contract.
Citing sources, Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported Thursday evening that Letang was offered an eight-year contract, worth “around $54 million.”
Update: According to Pierre LeBrun of ESPN and TSN, Letang’s camp informed the Penguins they would be turning down the club’s eight-year offer.
Also told that Letang camp counter-offered with a long-term deal which would pay less than $8 M (north of $7.5 M); Pens said too high—
Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) June 28, 2013
This past regular season, Letang had 38 points in 35 games. He also had 16 points in 15 playoff games, before the Penguins were eliminated by the Boston Bruins in the Eastern Conference final.
The past few days, the rumor mill has been churning around Letang.
There was a report that Letang was worried about his future with the Penguins, and that if a trade were necessary, he’d prefer to go to the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Letang’s agent, Kent Hughes, quickly denied his client had interest in going to Toronto.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 8
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 44
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (44)