Rask: ‘We’re going to leave all the [expletive] aside’ to make contract work

Jun 27, 2013, 10:02 AM EDT

Tuukka Rask Getty Images

With Tim Thomas out of the picture, Tuukka Rask was given the opportunity to show that he could handle the pressure of being the team’s undisputed number one goaltender. Rask performed superbly in that role and is one of the key reasons why the Bruins made it all the way to the Stanley Cup Final.

That won’t be forgotten as he sits down to discuss his new contract with the Boston Bruins. He’s scheduled to become a restricted free agent on July 5.

After playing through a one-year, $3.5 million deal, $39 million over six years is seen as the starting point for Rask.

That’s a sizable annual cap hit, especially for a team that’s already close to the ceiling, but Rask seems very confident that the two sides will agree to a long-term deal.

“It would be an ideal situation. I want to play here forever, and hopefully that gets to happen,” Rask told CSN New England. “We’re going to make [the contract] happen. I’m not really worried that things are going to fall apart because we can’t make it work. Obviously we’re going to have some talks, but at the end of the day we’re going to leave all the [expletive] aside and make a deal that makes everybody happy.

“I don’t think I have to answer any of those questions anymore. I played good, and I proved to everybody again that I was capable of doing it. You look at the numbers, and they were good. If you analyze how I felt and looked at different times during the year, and that was pretty good too. I felt really good throughout the regular season and playoffs. You can always be better, but I felt pretty good.”

Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli also seems optimistic about the teams chances of making something work.

“He’s obviously had a terrific playoff, and we’d like to get him done as soon as we can,” Chiarelli said.

1. jcmeyer10 - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:24 AM

No flies on this kid. He just seems to get it.

• narfmoo12 - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:57 AM

It’s easy to “get it” when your starting point is $6.5M per year.

• dddk722 - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Not really…this kid has been waiting for years for this opportunity…he was stuck as the best goalie in the AHL for 2-3 years before even getting a chance…then he sat behind TT (rightfully so) while he won a cup… he played brilliant when he got the chance and never said a word…he finally got the chance to be the “guy” and hes running away with it….he does get “it” and hes going to get the money that he deserves now…

• yougotgirouxed - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Bryz never got it. His cap hit was $5.3M I think, but still.

• wikidpissah - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:14 AM

He definitely gets it. People forget that he was the B’s starting goalie in 2009-2010 and slated to be the starter in 2010-2011. When Thomas outplayed him for the starting job at the beginning of 2010- 2011, Rask played the back up role, stayed positive and never became a distraction.

He’s paid his dues and earned the position he’s now in.

2. ackforever - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Give him a good deal! He’s earned it! But I just hope he knows to be smart and not get greedy. The team wont be able to afford other good talent if the stars get greedy.

• jcmeyer10 - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:21 AM

That’s when he will able to live by these words. If he won’t take a couple million less over the life of the deal to make sure he has a competent defense in front of him, then I will back off my initial statement.

3. buffalomafia - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Pay the kid! He played great all season!

4. hawksin5 - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:35 PM

As a hawks fan, Its hard for me to say, but I really love the guy, he’s a unbelievable talent, waited his turn and took off when he was given his shot. He was also BY FAR my favorite player to watch during the playoff interviews. So well spoken, honest, and to the point. Boston should give this kid every penny he asks for, kids worth it!

5. hockeyflow33 - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I don’t know what’s more frightening, his inability to hold onto leads or the Bruin’s inability to see that.

• dboldave - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:01 PM

So you are saying they should let him walk and sign another instead?

• hockeyflow33 - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:13 PM

It’s interesting because he is a really, really good goalie. It’s a difficult decision because they do have several high-quality goalies in the pipeline too. I think he isn’t the type of goalie who can carry a team on his back, not many can, but he reminds me of Lundqvist, amazing numbers and unbelievable talent but gets into trouble when he needs to carry the boys.

I hope I’m wrong and as he gets older he develops into the clutch goalie the team team needs;goalies don’t usually come into their prime until their early 30′s so he’s still really young.

• dddk722 - Jun 27, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Wow talk about unreal expectations…so you think it was ALL Tim Thomas who kept the Bruins from blowing leads? This guy bailed them out all year and all playoffs long, hes calm and collected in net and the team really likes playing in front of him. Let this guy get anywhere near UFA status and things will get ugly for the Bruins…Let Subban prove himself in the AHL (like Rask did) and then bring him up to watch Rask and learn how to play at the NHL level….

• hockeyflow33 - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Yes, they did win it because of Thomas.

I would actually disagree with your assessment that he bailed them out all year.

They also have the top AHL goalie from this past season.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s a top 10 goalie in the league but he is one of the best, I don’t think so.

• dddk722 - Jun 28, 2013 at 10:37 AM

No I was commenting on your statement that Rask cant hold onto leads….and considering TT and Rask pretty much had the same teams in front of them that would mean that you think Thomas was the reason they kept leads…follow me? We did have the top AHL goalie and we have Subban, I am well aware of our goaltending situation, its probably the best in the league top to bottom. If thats the argument that we are deep enough to not throw a lot of money at Rask than I understand, but dont agree with it. Rask got screwed out of a Vezina nom this year and he was 2 wins from a Conn Smythe, hes a top 3 at WORST top 5 goalie in the league and the numbers back it up…

• endusersolutions2013 - Jun 27, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Can’t comment on a lot of other games, but in game 6, both the late scores were almost impossible to defend (as were the two the Bruins scored). Defensive breakdowns complicated by hurting players.

• hockeyflow33 - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:24 PM

The game winning goal I thought he should have had but it certainly wasn’t all his fault.

The thing with Rask is that he allows a lot of momentum-shifting goals. Whether it’s goals within the opening or final minute, or a goal allowed within a minute of the Bruins scoring, he rarely was able to make that key save, and they certainly weren’t all his fault. Ultimately that’s exactly what happened in Game 6.

• itsallniceonice - Jun 27, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Talk about taking a 180. All the talk during the Pens series and now this worry? Where do people like you come from?

Still a team game. Those goals were a product of floating skaters not Tuukka letting in softies to give up the lead.

• hockeyflow33 - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:21 PM

People like me come from a hockey background. I’ve consistently had the same opinion on Rask, he’s a really, really good goalie but definitely not worthy of $6.5m

• dddk722 - Jun 28, 2013 at 10:40 AM

In your mind what goalies are worth 6.5 M then? cause using your standards there would be none….

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches