Jun 27, 2013, 8:56 AM EDT
Kunitz still has a season left on his current contract, so the Penguins have now locked him up through 2016-17. Kunitz’s new deal will come with only a mild annual cap hit increase of $125,000 annually.
That’s a nice break for the Penguins considering the 33-year-old had 61 points in 2011-12 and then took another step forward with 22 goals and 52 points in 48 games last season. Given what they have already committed to paying Evgeni Malkin, Sidney Crosby, and James Neal, the Penguins didn’t have the cap flexibility to give Kunitz a contract more reflective of the numbers he’s put up over the last two campaigns.
With Kunitz inked, the next big question for the Penguins is if they can re-sign Pascal Dupuis. He’s coming off a two-year, $3,000,000 deal and will be looking for a sizable raise after recording 38 points in 48 contests in 2013.
The Penguins would also probably love to re-sign midseason acquisition Jarome Iginla, but getting such a contract under the cap would be very difficult for Pittsburgh.
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 0
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 18
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider 88
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 35
- Playoff bubble watch — Wild edition 18
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 12
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 26
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (88)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)