Jun 27, 2013, 8:56 AM EDT
Kunitz still has a season left on his current contract, so the Penguins have now locked him up through 2016-17. Kunitz’s new deal will come with only a mild annual cap hit increase of $125,000 annually.
That’s a nice break for the Penguins considering the 33-year-old had 61 points in 2011-12 and then took another step forward with 22 goals and 52 points in 48 games last season. Given what they have already committed to paying Evgeni Malkin, Sidney Crosby, and James Neal, the Penguins didn’t have the cap flexibility to give Kunitz a contract more reflective of the numbers he’s put up over the last two campaigns.
With Kunitz inked, the next big question for the Penguins is if they can re-sign Pascal Dupuis. He’s coming off a two-year, $3,000,000 deal and will be looking for a sizable raise after recording 38 points in 48 contests in 2013.
The Penguins would also probably love to re-sign midseason acquisition Jarome Iginla, but getting such a contract under the cap would be very difficult for Pittsburgh.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)