Jun 27, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT
On his conference call to speak about what went down this morning, the former Lightning captain says a buyout was something he knew could happen but still caught him off guard.
“I was at the table with the family having breakfast and my phone rang and it was Steve (Yzerman),” he said. “It turned out they were buying me out… It’s tough. It’s tough when you’ve been at it for so long and you’ve been through so much in one place and where this organization is going. It’s very hard.”
That’s a good way to spoil your bacon and eggs. Getting paid $32 million to move on to another city is a better way to feel OK with that. Lecavalier welcomes the challenge.
“It’s a tough day but at the same time, I know I’m going to be somewhere else it’s going to be a different challenge but I’m so motivated to go somewhere else and prove I can play at a high level. I believe in myself, I believe in what I can bring to a team. I want to win.”
As for where that next challenge will be, he says he’s ready for anything. When asked about the possibility of playing in Detroit, he had an awkward confession to make.
“It’s actually a team I grew up idolizing. Them and Montreal were my favorite teams. Ironically, Steve Yzerman was my favorite hockey player,” he said.
“My door is open to everybody. I haven’t really made a list yet. I’m really open to anything. I haven’t pinpointed anywhere I wanted to go. It’s been five hours (since the buyout) and I’m still not there yet.”
The line forms to the left for 29 other GMs looking for a guy who’s been a consistent scorer throughout his career.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34