Jun 27, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT
On his conference call to speak about what went down this morning, the former Lightning captain says a buyout was something he knew could happen but still caught him off guard.
“I was at the table with the family having breakfast and my phone rang and it was Steve (Yzerman),” he said. “It turned out they were buying me out… It’s tough. It’s tough when you’ve been at it for so long and you’ve been through so much in one place and where this organization is going. It’s very hard.”
That’s a good way to spoil your bacon and eggs. Getting paid $32 million to move on to another city is a better way to feel OK with that. Lecavalier welcomes the challenge.
“It’s a tough day but at the same time, I know I’m going to be somewhere else it’s going to be a different challenge but I’m so motivated to go somewhere else and prove I can play at a high level. I believe in myself, I believe in what I can bring to a team. I want to win.”
As for where that next challenge will be, he says he’s ready for anything. When asked about the possibility of playing in Detroit, he had an awkward confession to make.
“It’s actually a team I grew up idolizing. Them and Montreal were my favorite teams. Ironically, Steve Yzerman was my favorite hockey player,” he said.
“My door is open to everybody. I haven’t really made a list yet. I’m really open to anything. I haven’t pinpointed anywhere I wanted to go. It’s been five hours (since the buyout) and I’m still not there yet.”
The line forms to the left for 29 other GMs looking for a guy who’s been a consistent scorer throughout his career.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 0
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 31
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 19
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 82
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (82)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)