Jun 27, 2013, 12:13 PM EDT
Chicago GM Stan Bowman announced the team would be using both of their compliance buyouts this summer on defenseman Steve Montador and forward Rostislav Olesz.
Montador had two years remaining on his four-year deal with a $2.75 million cap hit. Olesz had just one season left on his six-year deal with a $3.125 million cap hit. Neither player was a factor in winning the Stanley Cup for the ‘Hawks this season. Montador dealt with concussion issues most of the season before being sent to Rockford in the AHL.
There was talk before the end of the Stanley Cup Final that perhaps Marian Hossa would be someone the team would buy out. With the fear of the cap recapture penalty looming if he retired before the end of his deal out there, some speculated it would be easier for Chicago to buy him out and move on.
That won’t be happening now and the Blackhawks will be hoping to see Hossa going strong into the 2020-2021 season when his 12-year deal expires. He’ll be 42 years-old when that happens.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)