Jun 27, 2013, 12:13 PM EDT
Chicago GM Stan Bowman announced the team would be using both of their compliance buyouts this summer on defenseman Steve Montador and forward Rostislav Olesz.
Montador had two years remaining on his four-year deal with a $2.75 million cap hit. Olesz had just one season left on his six-year deal with a $3.125 million cap hit. Neither player was a factor in winning the Stanley Cup for the ‘Hawks this season. Montador dealt with concussion issues most of the season before being sent to Rockford in the AHL.
There was talk before the end of the Stanley Cup Final that perhaps Marian Hossa would be someone the team would buy out. With the fear of the cap recapture penalty looming if he retired before the end of his deal out there, some speculated it would be easier for Chicago to buy him out and move on.
That won’t be happening now and the Blackhawks will be hoping to see Hossa going strong into the 2020-2021 season when his 12-year deal expires. He’ll be 42 years-old when that happens.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 8
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 25
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)