Jun 27, 2013, 12:13 PM EDT
Chicago GM Stan Bowman announced the team would be using both of their compliance buyouts this summer on defenseman Steve Montador and forward Rostislav Olesz.
Montador had two years remaining on his four-year deal with a $2.75 million cap hit. Olesz had just one season left on his six-year deal with a $3.125 million cap hit. Neither player was a factor in winning the Stanley Cup for the ‘Hawks this season. Montador dealt with concussion issues most of the season before being sent to Rockford in the AHL.
There was talk before the end of the Stanley Cup Final that perhaps Marian Hossa would be someone the team would buy out. With the fear of the cap recapture penalty looming if he retired before the end of his deal out there, some speculated it would be easier for Chicago to buy him out and move on.
That won’t be happening now and the Blackhawks will be hoping to see Hossa going strong into the 2020-2021 season when his 12-year deal expires. He’ll be 42 years-old when that happens.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)