Jun 27, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
Leading up to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft in New Jersey, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Sunday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Sean Monahan (C)
Height: 6’2 Weight: 187 Shoots: Left
Team: Ottawa 67’s (OHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 5 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
He’s been touted as someone who can be a top-six forward down the road, but, as per the Edmonton Journal and according to David Burstyn, the director of scouting for McKeen’s Hockey, will need to work on his skating.
At 6’2″, he’s already got the gift of size, with the potential to fill out and perhaps grow just a little bit more over the next couple of years. This could make him an inviting target for teams looking for size up the middle. He showed a scoring touch with the Ottawa 67’s in each of the last two seasons, with 33 goals in 2012 and 31 in 2013.
“He’s a big centerman, very creative, maybe one of the most creative players in the draft. He’s a great playmaker, has great imagination, has the ability to find people in open ice and put the puck right on their stick.” — Tony MacDonald, Carolina Hurricanes director of amateur scouting (as per the Raleigh News & Observer)
For more 2013 NHL Draft Previews, click here.
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 5
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 13
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 35
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 17
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)