Jun 27, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
Leading up to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft in New Jersey, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Sunday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Sean Monahan (C)
Height: 6’2 Weight: 187 Shoots: Left
Team: Ottawa 67’s (OHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 5 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
He’s been touted as someone who can be a top-six forward down the road, but, as per the Edmonton Journal and according to David Burstyn, the director of scouting for McKeen’s Hockey, will need to work on his skating.
At 6’2″, he’s already got the gift of size, with the potential to fill out and perhaps grow just a little bit more over the next couple of years. This could make him an inviting target for teams looking for size up the middle. He showed a scoring touch with the Ottawa 67’s in each of the last two seasons, with 33 goals in 2012 and 31 in 2013.
“He’s a big centerman, very creative, maybe one of the most creative players in the draft. He’s a great playmaker, has great imagination, has the ability to find people in open ice and put the puck right on their stick.” — Tony MacDonald, Carolina Hurricanes director of amateur scouting (as per the Raleigh News & Observer)
For more 2013 NHL Draft Previews, click here.
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 0
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 10
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 64
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 48
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)