Jun 27, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
Leading up to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft in New Jersey, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Sunday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Sean Monahan (C)
Height: 6’2 Weight: 187 Shoots: Left
Team: Ottawa 67′s (OHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 5 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
He’s been touted as someone who can be a top-six forward down the road, but, as per the Edmonton Journal and according to David Burstyn, the director of scouting for McKeen’s Hockey, will need to work on his skating.
At 6’2″, he’s already got the gift of size, with the potential to fill out and perhaps grow just a little bit more over the next couple of years. This could make him an inviting target for teams looking for size up the middle. He showed a scoring touch with the Ottawa 67′s in each of the last two seasons, with 33 goals in 2012 and 31 in 2013.
“He’s a big centerman, very creative, maybe one of the most creative players in the draft. He’s a great playmaker, has great imagination, has the ability to find people in open ice and put the puck right on their stick.” — Tony MacDonald, Carolina Hurricanes director of amateur scouting (as per the Raleigh News & Observer)
For more 2013 NHL Draft Previews, click here.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 0
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 8
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)