Jun 27, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
Leading up to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft in New Jersey, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Sunday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Sean Monahan (C)
Height: 6’2 Weight: 187 Shoots: Left
Team: Ottawa 67’s (OHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 5 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
He’s been touted as someone who can be a top-six forward down the road, but, as per the Edmonton Journal and according to David Burstyn, the director of scouting for McKeen’s Hockey, will need to work on his skating.
At 6’2″, he’s already got the gift of size, with the potential to fill out and perhaps grow just a little bit more over the next couple of years. This could make him an inviting target for teams looking for size up the middle. He showed a scoring touch with the Ottawa 67’s in each of the last two seasons, with 33 goals in 2012 and 31 in 2013.
“He’s a big centerman, very creative, maybe one of the most creative players in the draft. He’s a great playmaker, has great imagination, has the ability to find people in open ice and put the puck right on their stick.” — Tony MacDonald, Carolina Hurricanes director of amateur scouting (as per the Raleigh News & Observer)
For more 2013 NHL Draft Previews, click here.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 3
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)