Jun 27, 2013, 10:42 PM EST
Leading up to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft in New Jersey, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Sunday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Sean Monahan (C)
Height: 6’2 Weight: 187 Shoots: Left
Team: Ottawa 67′s (OHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 5 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
He’s been touted as someone who can be a top-six forward down the road, but, as per the Edmonton Journal and according to David Burstyn, the director of scouting for McKeen’s Hockey, will need to work on his skating.
At 6’2″, he’s already got the gift of size, with the potential to fill out and perhaps grow just a little bit more over the next couple of years. This could make him an inviting target for teams looking for size up the middle. He showed a scoring touch with the Ottawa 67′s in each of the last two seasons, with 33 goals in 2012 and 31 in 2013.
“He’s a big centerman, very creative, maybe one of the most creative players in the draft. He’s a great playmaker, has great imagination, has the ability to find people in open ice and put the puck right on their stick.” — Tony MacDonald, Carolina Hurricanes director of amateur scouting (as per the Raleigh News & Observer)
For more 2013 NHL Draft Previews, click here.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 8
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 8
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 23
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)