Jun 27, 2013, 3:53 PM EDT
Leading up to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft in New Jersey, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Sunday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Elias Lindholm (C)
Height: 6’0 Weight: 181 Shoots: Right
Team: Brynas IF Gavle (SEL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 3 among European skaters
What kind of player is he?
He’s a versatile, two-way forward that’s known for being highly competitive. Lindholm already has experience playing with men in the Swedish Elite League where he recorded 11 goals and 30 points in 48 games in 2012-13.
He’s the product of a hockey family, with his father, Mikael, enjoying a lengthy career in Europe and Sweden in particular. Mikael Lindholm also had a 18-contest stint with the Los Angeles Kings during his career. His cousin, Calle Jarnkrok, was taken by the Detroit Red Wings in the second round of the 2010 NHL Draft.
Lindholm has been compared favorably to Peter Forsberg and Mike Richards.
“He’s a great leader. Even though he’s very young, he’s still very mature. He plays in the Elite League and has a big role there and he came into (the WJC) with a lot of experience. He communicated a lot on the bench and in the locker room.” — Anaheim Ducks prospect Rickard Rakell (per Yahoo! Sports)
For more 2013 NHL Draft Previews, click here.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)