Jun 27, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren traditionally doesn’t draft a player based primarily on his team’s current needs, but he isn’t shy about sharing his preference if he has to chose between a defenseman and forward that are relatively equal in terms of talent.
“Well, then we’d probably lean toward the defenseman,” Holmgren told CSN Philly. “Just because of our needs.”
The Philadelphia Flyers hold the 11th pick in the NHL Entry Draft, which is early enough to get a great prospect, but late enough to make it very difficult to accurately judge who might be available.
Still, if Darnell Nurse happens to slip that far, the Flyers will seriously consider scooping him up.
“I’ve seen Darnell play a few times,” Holmgren said. “He’s a hard-nosed kid. He’s like 6-4, I would venture to guess he weighs like 210 pounds (he’s listed as 6-5/192). He’s still, when you watch him play, a lot of elbows and knees, but he’s a rugged, hard-nosed player that can fight, pretty good with the puck, and he’ll continue to get better.
“But I have no idea if he’ll be there at our pick.”
Other possibilities are blueliners Rasmus Ristolainen and Ryan Pulock.
Holmgren noted that Ristolainen “looks like a man right now” given his 6-foot-3, 207-pound frame and is probably the closest defenseman to being NHL ready, with the exception of top ranked blueliner Seth Jones. Pulock isn’t as physical as Nurse, but he’s “got a bomb for a power play.”
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 30
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 23
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)