Jun 27, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
In the words of NHL commissioner Gary Bettman: “We have a trade to announce.”
The Flames announced the trade on their team website Thursday evening.
“This trade adds needed size up front and grit on the back end while also allowing us to get younger.” said Flames general manager Jay Feaster in a statement.
“We like the fact that Jones plays a north-south game, drives hard to the net, kills penalties and is a right hand shot. O’Brien is a hard guy to play against, knows how to get under the skin of the opposition and stands up for his teammates. We are pleased to add both of these players to our organization.”
Tanguay turns 34 years of age in November, and had three years remaining on a contract that was a $3.5 million cap hit.
Sarich turns 35 in August, and had one more year remaining on his contract worth a cap hit of $2 million.
Jones, 28, comes to the Flames after scoring three goals and nine points in 33 regular season games in 2013.
He had a career-best 45 points in 2010-11.
O’Brien, who comes to the Flames after stops with the Avalanche, Nashville Predators, Vancouver Canucks, Tampa Bay Lightning and Anaheim Ducks, had four points in 28 games this past season with Colorado.
He also had an even rating.
In terms of the always hyped ‘blockbuster’, this deal might not be along the same line as the potential swap of first-round draft picks that the Flames were reportedly offering the Avalanche.
Earlier this month, it was reported that the Flames, in a bid to land Seth Jones, offered their three first-round draft picks to Colorado for the Avalanche’s No. 1 overall choice in the upcoming NHL Entry Draft.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
That’s about as much trash talk as you’re going to get from Willie D.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT
Alex Killorn is – again, this is based on same report – out of the lineup.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
“He’s got to go and maybe play out of the spotlight that we have here in Toronto.”
Oct 20, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
“I’ve played three games and it hasn’t gone even close to the way it needs to be.”
Oct 20, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
Leafs add some organizational depth.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Colorado, getting some good news in goal.
Oct 20, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
Caps are off on a road trip to Western Canada.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Coach Cooper cites the long trip to Edmonton from Syracuse as reason to keep the rookie out against the Oilers.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
A fairly well-deserved honor.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
News and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 20, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Matt Bartkowski expected to step in tomorrow versus San Jose.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Already has seven points in seven games this season.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Oct 20, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Terrible luck for the 22-year-old rookie d-man.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
Club addressed the domestic assault charges in a brief statement Monday.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Johan Franzen has been placed on IR.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
Lots of questions being asked in Winnipeg.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
Court date scheduled for Oct. 22.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:24 PM EDT
Hard lines, T.J. Brodie.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
Tampa Bay’s blue line is one of the deepest in the NHL.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 29
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)