Jun 27, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
For more than a full year now, Vancouver Canucks general manager Mike Gillis has been trying to move Roberto Luongo and the baggage of his 12-year, $64 million contract.
Could this be the weekend it finally happens?
The Canucks acquired Luongo at the 2006 NHL Draft, and the team will now try to deal him at this year’s draft, a little more than seven full years since he officially began what was a sometimes tumultuous but often successful time in Vancouver.
“We’re going to try and accomplish that goal,” Gillis told the Canadian Press this week. “We’ll see what happens.”
Luongo, now 34 years of age, first appeared destined to be traded when Cory Schneider took over the starting netminder job in the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs, which amounted to a first-round defeat for the Canucks at the hands of the L.A. Kings.
Instead, Luongo remained in Vancouver.
Gillis and the Canucks were unable to deal him during last year’s off-season, and again at training camp in January, then during the regular season and in the final minutes leading up to the NHL trade deadline.
This led the Olympic gold medal-winning goalie to unleash one of the best and most appropriate one-liners of the year during a trade deadline press conference: “My contract sucks.”
It became all but official that the Toronto Maple Leafs, after pursuing Luongo prior to the April 3 trade deadline, were out of the running when they acquired Jonathan Bernier from the Kings.
There still could be teams interested in Luongo, although, based on recent history, it’s a total guessing game as to where he may end up.
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 0
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)