Jun 27, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
“Obviously I’m on cloud nine right now. This is a great opportunity for me,” Shattenkirk said on a team conference call today. “To have the type of commitment that the Blues made and the faith that they have in me to perform and showing it in this way is pretty special.
“We both wanted to get something done and I think there was a deal to be had the whole way through…it’s nice to have this weight off my back and focus on things going forward for the rest of the summer.”
By that he means picking out a sweet place on the beach to relax until training camp starts in September. Well, that’s what I’d do at least.
Next up for Blues GM Doug Armstrong: Getting Shattenkirk’s restricted free agent pal on the blue line, Alex Pietrangelo, locked up to a long-term deal.
After being a Norris Trophy finalist last season and having another strong campaign this season, you can figure he’ll have a lofty deal headed his way. For what it’s worth, Armstrong said they’ll match any offers on their restricted free agents.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25