Jun 27, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
“Obviously I’m on cloud nine right now. This is a great opportunity for me,” Shattenkirk said on a team conference call today. “To have the type of commitment that the Blues made and the faith that they have in me to perform and showing it in this way is pretty special.
“We both wanted to get something done and I think there was a deal to be had the whole way through…it’s nice to have this weight off my back and focus on things going forward for the rest of the summer.”
By that he means picking out a sweet place on the beach to relax until training camp starts in September. Well, that’s what I’d do at least.
Next up for Blues GM Doug Armstrong: Getting Shattenkirk’s restricted free agent pal on the blue line, Alex Pietrangelo, locked up to a long-term deal.
After being a Norris Trophy finalist last season and having another strong campaign this season, you can figure he’ll have a lofty deal headed his way. For what it’s worth, Armstrong said they’ll match any offers on their restricted free agents.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)