Jun 27, 2013, 1:16 PM EDT
Bryan Bickell‘s huge postseason is the kind of thing an unrestricted free agent-to-be loves to have happen. After all it means a big payday from a team in need of physical scoring.
Bickell, however, says he might want to stick around in Chicago as he told the press today and do so with a hometown discount. As for what that “discount” might entail, that’s up for debate.
Bickell is coming off a three-year contract that paid him $1.625 million total. After putting up nine goals and eight assists in the postseason after having 9-14-23 in the regular season, he’d be poised to cash in in a big way.
That said, going from a cap hit that was in the neighborhood of league minimum to one, likely, in the multi-millions doesn’t strike many as a discount. If he’s willing to ignore big money offers from other teams to just stay in Chicago, that’s more like staying loyal than offering a discount.
For what it’s worth, the gang at Bovada.lv laid even-odds that Bickell would land with the Detroit Red Wings in free agency. Might be time to throw a few bucks on the Blackhawks.
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight vs. B’s 0
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 20
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 83
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 96
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)