Jun 27, 2013, 1:16 PM EST
Bryan Bickell‘s huge postseason is the kind of thing an unrestricted free agent-to-be loves to have happen. After all it means a big payday from a team in need of physical scoring.
Bickell, however, says he might want to stick around in Chicago as he told the press today and do so with a hometown discount. As for what that “discount” might entail, that’s up for debate.
Bickell is coming off a three-year contract that paid him $1.625 million total. After putting up nine goals and eight assists in the postseason after having 9-14-23 in the regular season, he’d be poised to cash in in a big way.
That said, going from a cap hit that was in the neighborhood of league minimum to one, likely, in the multi-millions doesn’t strike many as a discount. If he’s willing to ignore big money offers from other teams to just stay in Chicago, that’s more like staying loyal than offering a discount.
For what it’s worth, the gang at Bovada.lv laid even-odds that Bickell would land with the Detroit Red Wings in free agency. Might be time to throw a few bucks on the Blackhawks.
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 9
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 31
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 65
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)